Groundhogs beware!

Ridge Runner

my 6.5 Gibbs, LH 700 trued and accurised, kreiger 1/8 29.5"fluted senduro weight barrel, seekins precision 1 pc 20 MOA base, XTR rings, 6.5x20x50 loopy LR/T M1 TMR, Joel Russo A-5 laminate
JS
100_0284.jpg

Its namesake was rocky gibbs, he developed 7 or 8 cartridges from 24 to 338 all based on a 06 case improved to the absolute max.
its a 30/06 with the shoulder pushed forward far enough that it has one caliber of neck length and sharpened to 35 degrees, this one was reamed to 270 win length so it'll have a longer neck.
a lapua 139 scenar(bc .615) at 3300 fps has the same trajectory to within 1/2 MOA of my 7mm AM 160 accubond at 3500 fps. to 800 yds.
JS

James, i'm gonna do what you're doing.i've got a 6wssm that i'm gonna get working so i can use it for practice over the summer.i think the ballistics will be somewhat in the same ballpark as my 338/300 so practicing with it this summer will be somewhat educational and save the round count for the big game rig this fall.

ok, bob the stock I can handle, the cat hates my guts, last time I petted her, 4 years ago she bit me, we now have an understanding, I let her live cause she's the mrs cat, no other reason. after I took the pic she growled and blowed all night.
RR

[ QUOTE ]
Its namesake was rocky gibbs, he developed 7 or 8 cartridges from 24 to 338 all based on a 06 case improved to the absolute max.
its a 30/06 with the shoulder pushed forward far enough that it has one caliber of neck length and sharpened to 35 degrees

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is a 30-06, .30 Gibbs and 30-06 Ackley Imp comparison photo. My local smith has a 6.5 Gibbs reamer and I've really been thinking of having one made.

30-06Gibbs.JPG

Cat, not sure but give me a couple days and I'll weigh one,
Right now I'm working 12 hr PM shifts till wed morn I'll let ya know.

[ QUOTE ]
Cat, not sure but give me a couple days and I'll weigh one.
Right now I'm working 12 hr PM shifts till wed morn I'll let ya know.

[/ QUOTE ]

What bullet are you planning to use??

While you were waiting for your 6.5 Gibbs to be finished, I was waiting for my Sendero-II, .264WM to be "delivered" (took nine months from the time ordered).

I picked up mine about 6 weeks ago and got a little shooting in on it before the weather fell.

I'm using the 95 V-Max and so far running 3700, with very good accuracy.

While working up groups, I got to 3800 with no signs of pressure.

I bought the rifle for feral dogs and yotes. I wanted something more effective then the 300WM/178 V-Max combo I was using before.

Let us know what you are getting when you shoot it... not a lot of Gibbs around any more.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.