Gray Wolf Killed Michigan LP

A gal my wife works with sent me those pictures because she knows I coyote hunt. She has a rancher friend that likes shooting coyotes and has a camera where he puts his dead cows. He only got pictures of it one night. This is only 20 miles from Bismarck ND. He's certain it's a wolf based on size. It's standing next to a dead cow.

A gal my wife works with sent me those pictures because she knows I coyote hunt. She has a rancher friend that likes shooting coyotes and has a camera where he puts his dead cows. He only got pictures of it one night. This is only 20 miles from Bismarck ND. He's certain it's a wolf based on size. It's standing next to a dead cow.
Aint no wolves near Bismarck.
Shoot it.

Ok so here is my take on it. I work for a federal gov agency that manages trees and that's all Il say on that. I know a lot of biologists that have spoken on this and they were originally trying to re establish an ecosystem predator to prey ratio that was more like it would have been pre settlement here in the US. The problem with that is we have so heavily altered the forest and every ecosystem on this continent so the re establishment of a predator is a futile attempt in ecosystem restoration of a predator vs prey hierarchy. Not only that a lot of people that pushed for this were biologist that came from a city and never really experienced the outdoors on a level many outdoorsman have, they got it from literature and real world practical application has many unforeseen circumstances that they either didn't think about or care about. In general the wolf re introduction started off wrong because many populations that they re introducing in the lower 48 were genetic stock from Canada because we extirpated them from the lower 48, Canadian wolves are bigger eat more and breed faster then those that were originally here. It doesn't take a genius to figure out they are going to do more damage than good. Couple that with an already stressed and declining moose population across the north east and you all can see where this is going.
well said!

If thats a dead cow then for sure its a wolf by the size of it ! With a photo some times its very hard to judge the size with out some thing to compare it to !
I was a bear guide and used 55 gallon drums to put feed in and also I know how tall a barrel is so I could guess very easily how much a bear weighted....
Really think that theres very few places left in the US were its not possible to eventually see tracks of a wolf with the amount of wolfs living in wildness areas at this time....to see wolf tracks several hundred miles from a known area they inhabit is becoming common....

If it is a wolf, which I think it is, it's not really surprising. There are known populations north, east and west of ND. I've seen wolves just into Manitoba while waterfowl hunting years ago.

We usually have mountain lions running around neighborhoods in Bismarck at least once a year now. The game and fish said for years there were no mountain lions east of the Missouri but a rancher friend of mine saw one walk through his cattle yard early one morning near Harvey ND about 15 years ago. It was a fresh snow so he took a bunch of pics too. He's a very clever guy so he called the game and fish and said he found tracks that he thought were mountain lion. They said it wasn't a mountain lion track. He never bothered to tell them he actually saw it.

These days they say there are no breeding populations of lions east of Missouri River which I think is probably true as it's mostly males that are killed on occasion in the east open zone. A friend of mines brother caught a lion in a coyote snare along the red river south of Fargo a few years ago.