Grandfathers rifle

crowsnest2002

I just wanted to share this with you guys. A couple of months ago back in august my grandfather passed away. A couple of days ago my grandmother said that she wanted me to come down and take his deer rifle. I've had a rough time dealing with his passing because he basically was a father to me. He got me into hunting and fishing and this very rifle got me into target shooting a little bit. I lived out in the country and he asked if I would shoot his rifle in for him. I abliged and when I shot this rifle the little bugger could actually group :D. Believe it or not it could hold a 1" group at 100 yards. It is a blood rifle and has the 20 notches in it to prove the count of deer harvested throughout the decades. Anyway I hope you guys enjoy the pictures. This rifle and the tobacco pipe I took will remind me of this great man I owe my upbringing to. Thanks for looking.
23i751k.jpg

wv37ky.jpg

xctbmc.jpg

Ya its good to have heirlooms.
My grandpa smoked a pipe also, and killed the biggest buck of his life while sitting on a stump to light it:D seriously. He just picked up his ol 30-30 and popped it right behind the ear, then finnished lighting his pipe and waited for my dad and uncles to go fetch it for him.
The pipe is gone now, and sadly, so is he, but his ol Winchester 30-30 adorns the arch in my folks' house, with his Stetson hanging close by.
Miss him pretty bad this time of year. It gets a bit better with each passing year, but it never gets easy. He wont be forgotten any time soon.
Thanks for sharing. Brings back Good memories.

Great strory Crowsnest, that's a keeper for sure. We've got quite a few old family guns that came down the pike. I gave my son some a while back that are on their fourth and fifth generation and still going strong.

I just wanted to let you guys know I reloaded some ammo for this little guy. I loaded some winchester brass with IMR 4064, CCI BR2's, and Speer 125TNT's. I went from 33grns, to 34grns, and 35grns. I'll see how it handles these and then break them down smaller if need be. By the way OAL is 2.59 magazine length :)
2h37slc.jpg

Here's my bench I built entirely from lumber from work. The only thing I had to pay for was carriage bolts and screws. It's still a work in progress :D I'm trying to build cabinets out of the 2x4's but the wood supply from work has slowed :rolleyes: Sorry its a mess by the way.
b4ycsl.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.