GPS for a moron?

specweldtom

I need to get a new hand-held GPS. Waterproof (I don't want to talk about it), good battery life, cheap would be good, but most important, one that doesn't have an instruction book bigger than it is. All I need is coordinates, landmarks, waypoints, tracks, goto, and backtrack. No maps, downloads, Pizza Hut locations or any other techie torture. It would be nice if it was simple enough to operate without stopping my 4-wheeler and reading the instruction book about how to hit 7 keystrokes in the exact order required to start a track, or just log a waypoint. Does one like this exist?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

I went with the Garmin eTrex H myself. Cheap. Waterproof. Has the high sensitivity hardware ( the "H" designation ) . Contains the most basic functions spread over some 4-5 main screens that are navigated with just 5 buttons on the device.

There are lots of different coordinate systems and units available but it's pretty much fire & forget once you're set up. It will lead you to manually entered coordinates, or to a previously marked waypoint. There's some extras like statistics ( avg. velo, distance traveled etc. ) but I consider that just gravy -- I just want it to confirm I'm still doing a good job with my map and compass, or get me back on the map if I'm not.

JR, the Garmin you have sounds good. I'm going to hit my local Academy store and also check out Cabela's catalogue. Thanks.

Keep 'em coming, I don't have to do anything right away, so appreciate any experience.

Thanks again, Tom

There's a new garmin touchscreen unit out that is about as simple as it gets. A little pricey but very user friendly and usable. Not sure what the model name is just visit there website.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.