Got my stock done !

85127.png
what do you think of this stock??
Personally, I think it has alot of features for the money. I had a Boyd's, Varmint Thumbhole, I think it was, that I broke trying to modify to a better fit for me, and debated getting an At One to replace it. Just decided to build, instead, so when done, I (hopefully) wouldn't need to modify . I wanted a more vertical grip than that stock has, and more cheek rise, and more palm swell. I think I got all that, in spades. I just hope it works as good as it looks.

Caliber and build specs? Beautiful work!!!!
Thank you ! The rifle is a Savage action, Lilia barrel, Holland braked, Timney triggered 338-378 Weatherby, with a Nightforce SHV, their rings and 20moa rail, all held up with an Atlas bipod. I dubbed it the 338 Tinkeree right after I got it back from the shop that built it. The wood is Flame birch on the outside sandwiching less expensive regular ole birch in the middle. There is a small strip of Curly Maple on top of the cheek piece, which has Axisworks' adjustment hardware in it. I got worried that what I had was not going to finish tall enough, and had the maple laying around. Put that piece on top. It finished nicely, probably too tall, since I only need to raise it 1/4 in to get in the scope. I put a Large Limbsaver on the back.
The rifle was inspired by an article by Jerry Teo here on LRH, and Joel Russo was my inspiration for the stock. He makes some ultra fine rifle furniture !

What are you using it for?
1000+yd shooting?
Yessir. Hoping to stretch it to a mile someday. Been a dream of mine to hit a mile since I was about 10 or 11 years old. Only fairly recently did it become a goal. Which is a dream with feet !

Beautiful figure on that birch. I was thinking of gluing up some figured walnut scraps for a similar project. You're an inspiration. What was your choice of glue? I need stability in negative 20 weather and I hate synthetic.

Beautiful figure on that birch. I was thinking of gluing up some figured walnut scraps for a similar project. You're an inspiration. What was your choice of glue? I need stability in negative 20 weather and I hate synthetic.
There is a thread, Glue? Or epoxy? but to boil it down, I used Titebond 3. I called them, they said no issues. So I used that.

Figured walnut is among the prettiest wood on the planet, I think. That'll be a gorgeous rifle stock, for sure.

Walnut is pretty wood for sure it gets brittle with time unless you stabilize it . I had a real nice piece of it that I found out about it getting brittle when I started making a stock out of it .

Hmm. Okay thanks for the input on the walnut. I wonder if the varying grain patterns cause it to brittle out more than straight grain. It would definitely be sealed especially the end grain.

Thanks for calling titebond. My cabinet making buddy recommended iii also but I got scared reading the label.

Well not to take away from your work. It's a great looking stock and it sounds like you did your research

Hmm. Okay thanks for the input on the walnut. I wonder if the varying grain patterns cause it to brittle out more than straight grain. It would definitely be sealed especially the end grain.

Thanks for calling titebond. My cabinet making buddy recommended iii also but I got scared reading the label.

Well not to take away from your work. It's a great looking stock and it sounds like you did your research
I've found every hi figure wood to be chip out prone using machine cutters. You just gotta go super slow, and be aware of cutter rotation and grain flow. It can be done....dont let that discourage you. Go for it !
I bought a variable speed control for my die grinder and ran it and the router as slow as I could, cutting about .015 per pass. I used a very aggressive (40grit) flap disc on an angle grinder for heavy removal. You can do it, man !

Last edited:
Walnut is pretty wood for sure it gets brittle with time unless you stabilize it . I had a real nice piece of it that I found out about it getting brittle when I started making a stock out of it .
DSheetz if I may ask, how would you go about stabilizing it ? Humidity ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.