Got My Elk

Slopeshunter

Well, it's been a pretty quiet last few hunting seasons. Two years ago, hunted 2 days, last year 0 days. This year I didn't think I was going to get out, but then got invited out by a buddy to join his group for elk/whitetail for last Friday & Saturday.

We left Calgary 3am Friday, hunted long and hard. Covered a ton of ground. But we weren't seeing the elk. We saw a number of moose (which previously I hadn't seen alot of in this area), mulies, cougar tracks and a golden eagle eating away on a gutpile (which was real cool to see).

Late Saturday morning after still not seeing elk (& minimal elk sign) we took a drive further down the road & headed into the ranch of a buddy I'd known since university days. He didn't have anyone in hunting his place, so we had our plan for the afternoon. Hoping that we might cross path with some elk on his place as the number of vehicles driving through the forestry on Saturday was unreal.

Before heading in to park in his yard we decided drive down the road further and turn around so that we could glass his southernmost valley. And what do you know, on the edge of one of the bowls bedded were two legal bulls. There could have been more elk behind & below them, but we now had a plan.

We drove back and parked in the yard, gathered up our gear and headed up into the trees with the plan of popping out on the top of the ridge above the elk in a good position to set up to shoot. But of course we popped out further west than we wanted and between us and the ridge top we wanted were a dozen mulies. The mulies weren't too concerned with us, so as we quietly worked our way to the ridge top they just headed back into the forest. On route we did catch sight of the bulls and they were still bedded in the same place. As we got closer to the ridge top they did sense that something was out of place. But they couldn't tell what (wind was in our favour and they were over 400 yards away). So they just stood up and both stood broadside to us. And they stayed that way while we crawled into position & got set up to shoot. Could not have asked for a better situation.

We had two shooters, myself and a younger fellow. Once ready I said I'd count to three then we'd both shoot at the bull we'd picked to shoot at. 1-2-3, I heard him shoot then I took my first shot, ejected shell, took second shell. The bull showed absolutely no reaction to either shot. After the second shot, he just turned and started walking downhill. Took about 5 steps & keeled over.

We just ended up with the one bull as the other shooter had missed on his first shot then his gun had jammed so he did not get a chance to get a second shot off.

These elk are tough! This bull took two shots in the chest (through & through), one of them taking out his heart. He was dead, just didn't know it. The grassy slopes with a bit of snow on them sure makes great for dragging an elk down to the bottom.

Probably hard to see in the pic but I got my first ever (followed soon after) by my second ever scope kiss. With the distance of the shot I had cranked my scope up to 14 & I guess I moved my eye a bit closer to the scope. Oh well, battle scars 'eh.

Here's a few pics, not great quality. My old camera that I take hunting didn't want to work that well in the cold temperatures.

I was using my Remington 700 280AI with 140 grain TSX's. Shot distance was around 430 yards.

Cheers!

DSCF5420.jpg

DSCF5424.jpg

DSCF5431.jpg

Nice write up and great pics. This is one of the first elk hunts I've read about where it was taken with something other than one of the big magnums. Shooting a 280AI, why the 140grain bullet? I shoot 168VLD in my 280Rem and it's awesome, especially at long range. I push them at 2780 with a 24" barrel. With your 280AI, you could probably get darn close to 3000.

Congrats. Looks like a great place to hunt long range. Just for reference, how cold was it? Interesting what you said about the amount of people hunting. I always pictured Canada with so much public land and so few people.

Gordon

Nice write up and great pics. This is one of the first elk hunts I've read about where it was taken with something other than one of the big magnums. Shooting a 280AI, why the 140grain bullet? I shoot 168VLD in my 280Rem and it's awesome, especially at long range. I push them at 2780 with a 24" barrel. With your 280AI, you could probably get darn close to 3000.

Hi Trebark, good comments. As you can gather from the number of days I've gotten out hunting the last few years, I've had equally as little time at the range (hoping to make some chanes for 2012). When I first got this rifle a 4 years ago I worked up a load with the TSX's and was down to around the last 10 rounds (which I took on this hunt). I do have plans to see how the VLD's do in this rifle now that I'm done with the TSX's. But saying that I am really happy with how they performed on this elk!

I also have a 308 Norma Mag which I want to see how it does with the .30 cal VLD's. So, planning for some good range time coming up next year.

Lots of good sausage, steak, burger.... on the way. Will be ready just in time for Christmas.

Cheers

Congrats. Looks like a great place to hunt long range. Just for reference, how cold was it? Interesting what you said about the amount of people hunting. I always pictured Canada with so much public land and so few people.

Gordon

Hi Gordon, you are correct that there really is alot more land than people up here. I live in Calgary which has around 1 million people. The crown land we were hunting was only about a 2 hour drive from the city. When we were out Friday we really didn't see anybody else. But Saturday was a different story. Funny though, we didn't cross paths with anyone out walking like we were. Saw lots of trucks on the road though.

The temperatures were cold! Daytime temps varied between -19C and -24C. Add in the windchill and it was easily feeling around -35C. The SW part of the province gets some huge winds coming out of the mountains. The temps weren't that bothersome though. When I was hiking I just wore a long sleeve shirt and a fleece. When I would stop to sit I'd open my pack and put on a sweater, hoodie and a down vest. Kept me nice and warm all day long. Of course my toque was on my head all day long. :lol:

Oh ya, as you see in the pics there are some great long range opportunities throughout this area.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.