Got my elk

dk17hmr

Sorry just the crappy cell phone pic. Not a super long shot but my longest kill shot to date on a big game animal.

elk-3.jpg

I know its a little one but my buddy shot the cow that she was with and it didnt want to leave the area. Figuring it might not make it through the winter I filled my tag. It might not be that big but I took back the families big game long range kill shot record. I use to hold it with a 279 yard shot on a whitetail in Michigan, my brother snatched it from me with a 445 yard antelope kill here in Wyoming a couple years ago. I took it back today with this elk and a 459 yard shot.
I used my 338 win mag Weatherby loaded with 225gr Hornady interbonds moving about 2750fps. I put the bullet right through the heart and she was one her feet for all of 2 seconds after the shot. When I field dressed it the heart came out in 3 chunks completely destroyed. Plenty of good meat for the winter.

Way to take back the record! I've got to beat the record set by my buddy with my own gun last year at 412 yards. I'd really like to get a crack at a cow next weekend around the 500 mark.

General Rule of Thumb if you are over 60 YO--- If the elk is uphill from the truck shoot the big one and if the elk is down hill from the truck and will have to be packed uphill, shoot the little one! :D

General Rule of Thumb if you are over 60 YO--- If the elk is uphill from the truck shoot the big one and if the elk is down hill from the truck and will have to be packed uphill, shoot the little one! :D

Bob unless you have a couple 20-30 year olds with you, then that rule no longer applies.:rolleyes:

Bob unless you have a couple 20-30 year olds with you, then that rule no longer applies.:rolleyes:

Im dead center in the 20-30 year old range, this is my second elk also my second year elk hunting because I grew up in Michigan. The first elk was uphill from camp and I had to pack it about a mile and a half through an old burn, well worth it and I would do it again. This one I was able to drag down hill hook onto it with the 4wheeler and drag it back to the truck. Today I skinned her out and it doesnt look like my bullet exited the chest cav, unless it went into the off shoulder. No blood shot and it doesnt look like any wasted meat.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.