Got my cherry busted tonight

Beluebow

Shot my first .300rum tonight,Rem700 BDL.I was pleasantly surprised by the recoil (well maybe pleasant isnt the right word)wasnt any worse than my T/C Encore .300.Except the some beach keeping tearing the hide off my index finger,,,didnt care for that at all.Now I know I gotta have a big gun built.Maybe my next try at getting one built will go better than my first.
Couple questions now,,,,What kind of cleaning equipment is everyone using?I was trying to do the right thing and clean between each shot with Butch's boreshine and my cheapo brass cleaning rod.Wasnt long and that thing was ticking me off.
Second question,,,,what would be a good recomendation on a front rest,,,,sand bags off the hood of the truck in the back pasture aint working.As you can tell by my post I'm not as "high tech" as I would like to be YET /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifBut I'll get there with the help of this board and some hard earned money!

Sorry to hear about your cherry fracture. Regardless it'll heal. As to shooting the bigone's... try to use a rest which better positons your back regards to the recoil. By this I mean be firing from a more upright position, or seated at a tall enough bench. The type of rest is more a matter of preference as sand bags work very well for me, just be consistant with them. Differences in hold pressure are magnified with a high recoiling rifle. Be consistant with whatever you choose to use.. good shooting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

...Dewey or Boretech cleaning rods are excellent... lightweight front rest = "Caldwell Rock"... heavyweight front rest = sinclair; bald eagle or anything similar... hope this helps...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.