Got Glass?

Konrad

I ordered a Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter (adjustable cheek piece, AccuStock, AccuTrigger, adjustable muzzle brake) in 7 mm Remington Magnum.
All I have to do is go to the shop to pick it up.

The factory uses Federal Premium Nosler 150 Ballistic Tip ammunition to verify accuracy. I had already planned on using the Ballistic Tip LR projectile. The 150 grain weight seems to be correct for the 1:9.5 barrel twist so that's where I will start in working up a load.

My next project is researching a telescopic sight for this rig and I'm thinking 12 to 14 power with a custom turret built for my load (intended for game up to and including elk).
The working budget is limited as I would like to keep the scope's cost equal to or less than the cost of the rifle (900 + tax).

Do any of you fine contributors have a suggestion on where to begin my search as to make and/or model?

Thanks,
KL

Attachments

• Savage Long Range Hunter photo.png
    Savage Long Range Hunter photo.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 84
There are a raft of good scopes to choose from. I have different brands on different scopes to fill niches. The first scope to come to my mind for you is a Bushnell 2 1/2-16X. Then I thought about 6-24X. Lots of folks suggest a fixed 6X so obviously they could not say starting at 6X is too much magnification. One of my varmint rifles carries a 4 1/2-30X50 and another uses a 3-30X56. My hunting rifle carries a 5-25X52.

If you go to the used market you should be able to get a really good deal. That's how I picked up a Nightforce 12-42X56 and a pretty good Sightron 6-24X40. I may sell the Sightron in the next month or two and go with something with more magnification.

I just received my 4th Vortex Viper HSLR from CameraLand (site sponsor). The first two are the earlier version with the second focal plane reticle, the two most recent additions are FFP. At whatever point in time I need another scope, I'll most certainly get FFP again. Mine are all the 4-16x models, which give a very good compromise for short range stalking in thick cover and having plenty of magnification for the 1200 yard opportunities. If I must come up with one criticism, it is the distance markings on the parallax knob. I just ignore them and fine tune until all apparent movement has ceased. Long shots (900-1200) tend to be around the infinity mark, but closer stuff (500, 640 are the longer backstops at the club) are usually a little less on the dial than the actual distance. No practical problem, I just would rather they had not bothered putting numbers on there at all. Every other aspect is great. For each scope I have measured the reticle pattern against a test target and it fits. I have done the box test for tracking and return-to-zero and none of them have any problems with that either. I use the zero-stop shims and that is simple mechanically, and goof proof. I have custom yardage turrets from Kenton Industries for my loads, and only screwed up the very first one I ordered (not enough care taken during trajectory validation- totally my fault). These scopes are priced very modestly for what they offer, and Vortex has a bulletproof warranty if I do have any problem. If you try one out and decide you don't like it, I doubt you'd be stuck with it for long if you put in the classifieds here. But I really don't think you will let it go once you've given it a workout.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.