Best glass

Yawn,

Not much to disagree on concerning the quality of March optics. But consider the original criteria, - range usage out to 1000yds and hunting to 600yds.

Whilst 1000yds range shooting is hardly taxing for any and all the scopes you and i have mentioned, the March scope will not compete so favourably in low light, dawn and dusk conditions when hunting.

In truth we really are talking about an extra 5-15mins, before or after the sun has set in which we can see to shoot. However that may be the few extra minutes in which that Stag / Buck of a lifetime emerges from the treeline.

You have noted your eyesight limitations which is to be commended - so many folks out there are oblivious and purchase the biggest magnification scope and binoculars available to them. However, if considering purely upon specification and the original selection criteria then i consider the current March scopes the inferior.

That doesn't mean i'm in any hurry to remove mine from my 300RUM!

I cant comment on the daylight to dark time frame in Idaho,here in the middle of New Zealand its a bit faster than that.I was talking to the Leupold importers a while back and they sell more 40mm objective scopes than 50mm by a large margin.The point though is that its not" can or cant take the shot" but what power setting you need to drop to to get a picture you can use. I found in the same light given equal glass/design then its simply exit pupil.If you can take the shot with a 50mm objective on 9x then you will have the same opourtunity with a 42mm objective on 7.5x.If low ilght is a big concern then March make a 5x50x56.I havnt seen one but Im guessing it would level the playing field enough to put it in the top4-5.

My buddy just had to purchase a new scope for last weeks hunt because his Zeiss has been at repair for almost 3 months. They have been unresponsive and kind of had an attitude. IMO, customer service is a huge part of my decisions. Unfortunally you can only research so much before a purchase. Not to knock Zeiss because I almost bought one myself. I know now though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts