Good 'smith in michigan please?

DOUGLAS12

Looking for a good gunsmith for a custom build here in MI or northern IN. Tired of mailing guns. Would like to do business FTF and if there were problems I could bring it in.
Thanks,
Doug

Looking for a good gunsmith for a custom build here in MI or northern IN. Tired of mailing guns. Would like to do business FTF and if there were problems I could bring it in.
Thanks,
Doug

I've heard some good things about Pierce Engineering in Lansing.

We're lucky to have a few really good builders in this state. I've used Pierce twice now and they were great to work with. I believe they were the official builder for the Michigan F-Class team this past year. They're usually good at getting back with people via email, and it was nice to be able to drop my parts off in person and talk with the guys. They certainly know their stuff and I'd go back for my next build. And even though they are right down the street, I've never had an issue with their final product, so I doubt you'll need to be going back and forth with them. Another builder I often hear about it Kampfield customs. Admittedly I've never dealt with them, but they get great reviews.

Pierce Engineering

Kampfeld Custom - Custom Rifles, Custom Gunsmithing

Just take note that Pierce has been declining small jobs. A full custom rifle of course is no problem. They would presumably also do smaller work on a rifle that they built. I asked them to fit a barrel which I had in my possession to a Rem 700 action I had in my possession and they said NO. I live about 1 hour due south near Jackson, and was really looking forward to working with a local smith. But it was not to be..... No more Remingtons now, I sold that one and do all my Savage work myself. Perhaps if I am to ever own a Bartlein, I may have to chamber and crown myself.

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. You guys are a great bunch. I posted this question on a couple other forums as well and you guys are much more responsive. Since I'm typing this I can't see and remember the posters but yes I did contact Pierce and they are going to do the build. I'm excited to work with them. As for the last poster, yes I'm in the process of building a new shop to do my own work as well. My line of work deals with similar precision as gun smithing so I am definately well versed. I have done some chambering and threading in my buddy's shop with his equip but that was back in IA. I will be getting a good lathe and power feed mill in mine as well. I do respect the great gunsmiths out there though as they really build masterpieces.
Thanks again everyone and I will post again upon completion withs pictures. Merry Christmas to all and be safe during these crazy holidays

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.