Good powder for 7mm RM and 168gr Bergers

Tater1985

I am going to be reloading some 168gr Bergers for my 7mm RM soon. I have been reading about different types of powders and the results people have been having with them. It seems like the most common findings are:

4350 or similar for light to med wt bullets

4831 or similar for med to heavy wt bullets

H1000/Retumbo for heavy wt bullets

I am looking for a powder that is extremely temp stable and has lowest ES. Just want it to be flat out consistent. I am not as worried about the absolute hottest velocities. I would much rather take shot to shot variance out of the picture. As you can tell from all my research and quite vague summary of findings, I'm a total noob. Thanks for any feedback.

BTW, will I see much difference between H4831 and H4831-SC? If so what are pros and cons.

From what your asking I will say I believe H4831sc is what your looking for with standard primers, fed210Ms being your best bet most likely. The sc is easier to meter, has a similar rate to Imr7828.

I've been very happy using Retumbo with the 168 VLD's. I shoot 71.5gr, but you will want to start out lower - maybe around 69gr and work up... especially if you have a factory chamber.

BACKWOODS83, I have a rifle that I purchased for the sole purpose of shooting 168 Bergers. I tried 22, 7828, and finally settled on H1000. My gun is tight chambered apparently, and I am getting 2977 fps,using 67.5 grains.
I am using a " standard" WLR primer. The gun likes these primers more than the mag primers. H1000 is supposed to be a Extreme powder. I believe that to be factual due to the fact that I developed the load in 50 degree weather, and I shot a whitetail in July on a crop damage hunt in 94 degree heat. No pressure signs, no change in impact. Two kills, one at 366 yards, and one at 209. My load is a little on the mild side, but it is incredibly accurate and predictable. Hopes this helps. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALLlightbulb gun) 7STW.

Wow, 3 out of 4 are pushing H1000. Well i guess 1 is for Rutumbo, but it is VERY close to H1000 on burn rate right?

One of my 7mags still wasn't hot with 73.5 gr Retumbo. It used H1000 and Retumbo about the same in terms of accuracy with the 168 Berger VLD.

My best load ever in a 7mag used IMR4831, so for a temp stable powder and the 168 H4831SC is a good choice too in my opinion.

BUT, many years ago I heard the same thing from multiple reliable sources and that was "H1000 is THE go-to powder for the 7mag and 300 WM.

I would have never considered Retumbo were it not for the Gunwerks/BOTW hunters. But I know it works. And probably better with the 180 VLD.

It stands like this for me, benchgun consistency Imr4350 with CCI BR2s in norma brass around 2900fps in a 26" barrel typically low single digit es's, next H4831sc with Fed 210Ms in norma brass for around 3000fps in same setup with ES's around 13-15, H1000 with 210Ms or wlr primers or CCI 250s for around 3075fps with same setup and and ES's in the 16-20 range, all are very good combos and not very temp sensative with any of them. If I was going for dependable from shot to shot the Imr4350 load would be my personal choice, but for the small difference you will see in es you may want to try the H1000 because it hits harder. I would not reccomend retumbo unless you step up to 180s.

H1000 lit with a 215m. Retumbo gave me more velocity with great accuracy, BUT the ES(extreme velocity spread) was too high for longer ranges. Do yourself a favor and test at 200yds or better. I have found that 100yd groups are almost meaningless while shooting the VLD's.

We recently accurized a factory early Sendero in 7rem mag. Complete truing of the action, JP brake, setback and rechamber and fluted the barrel then ceracoted the entire barreled action. And pillar bedded it into a custom stock. Using WW brass I worked up a load with 168 VLD's , CCI 250's and H-1000. The rifle shot like a custom with most groups 1/2 moa off the bipod and a rear bag. H-1000 is my vote.

Jeff

I"m sure to get bashed for this, but I love US869 in my 7RUM. I hear it is temp sensitive, but I have never had an issue with it, it must get the rap because it is a ball powder? The ES I get from it is the lowest out of all other loads in other rifles, or powders. I load 101gr. US869, 168gr. Berger VLD, Fed 215 primer, OAL 3.650. Elev.4255, 40F-90F.
Good luck

Alright, I think I've decided to go with H-1000 (at least to start with). Now I've seen posts that say to use Fed 210M, Fed 215M, Fed 215, and CCI 250 primers. How do I decide if it will need magnum primers or not? I assume a 215M is hotter than a 210M, as well as a 215? But is a 210M hotter than a 215? Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.