Good day Turned???

I'm about to traverse that same road. I'm going to have Pierce redo my Savage 11 308 lightweight hunter with a Bartlein light contour barrel and MacMillan Graphite stock.

Ron told me *and I believe him because he's all about F Class 308" that a custom barrel that he threads along with my stock action and accurtrigger and a MacMillan stock will yield a very light, packable rifle with a killing range in the excess of 600 yards and bug hole accuracy (with the right load of course). he wants me to load ladder 165's to 185's. I shoot Sierra 165's right now.

Ron prefers Berger but I suspect it's part of Berger sponsoring him.

I shoot target pistol (indoor match) so I'm accustomed to a light (very light) trigger and I dry fired a Timney at his shop an d candidly, I (for my uses) don't want a trigger like that. My Accutrigger is just fine. The Timney has no creep, it's just there but that don't work with gloves on or in the woods for me. I'd be shooting everything but the animal....lol

One of my target pistols pulls at less than 1/4 pound with no creep and I have to be cognizant of where my finger is at all times. I shot the lights out (literally) once and had to buy a new fixture......:D

They had a Bartlien and a Kreiger there in the shop (they actually have a machine shop, they build race engines and guns so you walk in amongst the machinery and I like that btw). He got out his Hawkeye Borescope (I have one too) and we looked into the Bartlien and the Kreiger and compared it to a stock Ruger he had in the shop (if Ruger is a good comparison) and the difference is night and day. The Bartlien and the Kreiger have smooth uninterrupted lands and the grooves look polished as well ad the lands. The Ruger on the other hand looked backyard made, much like my stok Savage barrels look actually.

You get what you pay for in my humble opinion and far as I'm concerned, the smoother and more uniform the bore is, the less copper transfer you'll get.

I'm about to traverse that same road. I'm going to have Pierce redo my Savage 11 308 lightweight hunter with a Bartlein light contour barrel and MacMillan Graphite stock.

Ron told me *and I believe him because he's all about F Class 308" that a custom barrel that he threads along with my stock action and accurtrigger and a MacMillan stock will yield a very light, packable rifle with a killing range in the excess of 600 yards and bug hole accuracy (with the right load of course). he wants me to load ladder 165's to 185's. I shoot Sierra 165's right now.

Ron prefers Berger but I suspect it's part of Berger sponsoring him.

I shoot target pistol (indoor match) so I'm accustomed to a light (very light) trigger and I dry fired a Timney at his shop an d candidly, I (for my uses) don't want a trigger like that. My Accutrigger is just fine. The Timney has no creep, it's just there but that don't work with gloves on or in the woods for me. I'd be shooting everything but the animal....lol

One of my target pistols pulls at less than 1/4 pound with no creep and I have to be cognizant of where my finger is at all times. I shot the lights out (literally) once and had to buy a new fixture......:D

They had a Bartlien and a Kreiger there in the shop (they actually have a machine shop, they build race engines and guns so you walk in amongst the machinery and I like that btw). He got out his Hawkeye Borescope (I have one too) and we looked into the Bartlien and the Kreiger and compared it to a stock Ruger he had in the shop (if Ruger is a good comparison) and the difference is night and day. The Bartlien and the Kreiger have smooth uninterrupted lands and the grooves look polished as well ad the lands. The Ruger on the other hand looked backyard made, much like my stok Savage barrels look actually.

You get what you pay for in my humble opinion and far as I'm concerned, the smoother and more uniform the bore is, the less copper transfer you'll get.

I think Ron is sending you down the right road. The build I'm working on is a Savage 116. MPI is building a custom pull length kevlar and carbon fiber stock for it (10 weeks. Not bad). Then I am adding a McGowen barrel in 280 AI and it is going to be my carry rifle for everything from antelope to elk. So, basically putting the money into the stock and barrel, not the action. No need to with the Savage action.

The Bergers are good. The only way I have ever really got them to shoot though is to jam them. Jam them and they will out shoot most anything. Just lose some velocity due to having to cut back on powder due to high pressure caused from jamming them. But, like they say, accuracy is more important than speed.

I'll stick with my Sierra's over the Bergers anyway. I was suprised when Ron told me that with the right barrel length and twist, my lowly 308 could be a 1000 yard rifle, to get there though, I'd have to be in the 185 grain arena.

I'm shooting at no more than 8+ pounds scoped. I'd go with a titaninum action but it's only a couple ounces and like Ron said..... the Savage action is just fine.

600 is plenty for my uses, especially a bug hole 600.

Gonna be a fun trip without a too excessive cost factor.

Knowing what I know today, I don't believe I would have ever bought a factory rifle but had a couple custom builds built and been done with it.

Lets get a little perspective:

Would you be able to install your own barrel ? You would need an action wrench, barrel nut wrench and a go gauge and a piece of paper.

Is there any reason you have to believe that trueing and timing your action would bring you any special benefit ? Specifically, is the extraction of brass from the chamber difficult ? Is the bolt lift uncomfortably heavy ? Do you think that the firing pin is drawn way too far back compared to what is needed to reset the trigger ? If you have no complaints regarding these things now, how would you be able to judge if any gunsmith actually did any of the work you would pay for ?

I own several savage 10.s, 110's, 12, and a model 112 and I'm not sure that I have any complaints on any of the above points. If I was going to do anything, I would have a smith order target accutriggers for all of mine which do not have them, and then fit those myself. Thats about the biggest improvement I could make. Possibly also replace the sears that have some wear on them.

Thee are plenty of opinionated people out there with their own bias. Gunsmiths love the Remington, because so many people buy them and often they shoot like crap, so they have a nice big captive market who bring in their rifles for trigger jobs, outright replacement, trueing, timing etc. Replacing the generally terrible barrels (which is very labor intensive + $). So Remington is the cash cow for these people and there is really not a lot for them to do to a Savage. They can't really charge $300 to swap a barrel, because someone would figure out that it was an unjustified ripoff. But with a Remington, its all good.

You got the right and intended message. Find someone else to work with, or better still, do it yourself and watch a few Youtube videos.

Excellent! I'm surprise the anti-Savage opinionated people have not made it here yet! Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.