Good coyote cartridges

Gus

The answer is a big "YES"!!!!

This is a great round for varmints to elk size animals.

I have killed lot,s of 300lb to 400lb hogs up to 400+ yrds
with mine.

And they are very accurate .

J E CUSTOM

If the pelt is not a concern, pretty much any gun you want to pull the trigger on is fine. I've seen people with 7mm mags that shoot songdogs with them.

But if pelts are a concern, then the smaller the hole the better. I use a .22-250 with Remington Accu-Tip ammo and if shot strait in the chest, almost never exits. Even in a broadside shot I rarely get an exit wound that needs to be fixed to sell the pelt.
The .204 Ruger is a hot item for furbearer hunting as I've heard lots of good things from coyote hunters with them.

The difference is mainly in bullet construction. Varmit bullets all but explode on impact, minimizing penetration. Deer caliber bullets tend to maximize penetration to get to vitals in bigger game. Power levels aside- a .30-06 deer round will blow completely through a coyote, and varmint rounds will not penetrate reliably on big game- it's a matter of matching the tool to the game.
If the 7mm-08 (a round I don't have much experience with) has varmint bullets in the line up- then I don't see why not. But deep penetrating deer bullets are way overkill on coyotes.
Again- no biggie if you don't care about fur. But if you want to sell the fur later- try to put the smallest hole in it you can.

Like Solly said if you are not worried about pelt damage the the 7-08 is great for everything from P-Dogs to Elk. But if you are looking to keep pelts the 204 Ruger or the 223 Remington would be a better choice. Or you could just pick the best as in the 220 Swift.

yes. sierra makes a 100gr hollow poitn in .284 and they are pretty impressive on woodchucks in the 7mm mag with a reduced load going 3200fps. im sure the -08 can muster up that. 3" high at 100 is 4" low at 300, but it drops like a rock past that

Last edited:
7mm-08 kils coyotes

7mm-08 is a great calibre.
If you dont care about the fur it's definitely accurate enough.
If you want to save coyote hides you'll have to pick your bullet carefully and reload to build a reduced load for calling in distances of 75-130 yard shooting.
A long distance bullet would be a Berger or Scenar
Stay away from shoulder hits
Reduced load could be built using a lighter weight bullet that works in your barrel twist and choose a fast powder and might have to use Dacron filler if its a shotgun powder for ultra close shooting.
A reduced load is tricky and you need to have reloading skills.
Hope my 2 cents helped someone
AlbertaAL

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.