Going to build a .338 and have some questions.

with this .338 build i want the gun to be capable of making hits at a mile 1760 is my goal wether or not i can make the shot is doubtful but its what i want to try and that is the only reason for my 2800 fps criteria and to be honest i doubt i need it to go that fast to make hits at that distance i just want to give myself all the mechanical/ ballistic advantage i can afford.

Then go with 338 lapua inp. My is a 338 AX same thing 300 smk at 2980. 1760yards is 1300 fps and 1100 ft-lb of energy. I have shoot out to 1761 at rocks with know wind no problen this fifle shoot beader then i can.The truble is i want to keap shooting i have had it for one year and i have put 541 rounds down the barrel and i was gone from home for 5 month. I am saving for a new barrel. I ben told good chance to get 1500 rounds out of barrel if don't over heat the barrel. Witch i have not.

I am almost finished with a custom build in 338 RUM it's built on a Remington 700 action cut for a 4" Wyatt's box magazine. I was going to build a 338 edge or lapua but when I was researching I discovered that the edge doesn't have much of an edge over the rum. They often achieve best accuracy at the same velocity with the same powder charges. I still wanted to go with the edge but I found a good deal on a set of Redding 338 rum dies so that made up my mind. I bought ADG 338 rum brass which is supposed to be on par with lapua though I have yet to shoot it any. The 338 lapua doesn't do anything that the rum or edge can do. The only reason I would step up to a bigger action to run the lapua would be if I was going to build a 338 lapua improved otherwise the cost outweighs the benefits.

I can comment on a few Qs
1. Yes, you can, but its hotly debated if you should. I have no regrets going with a custom action for my 338 NM.
4. The elite hunters were in stock around the 4th of July. Hadn't seen them for over 8 months prior. While you wait for them, you can shoot the OTMs. People on this forum even hunt with the OTMs.
5. I have a #6 SST Krieger at 26". Scoped, the gun finished out at 12 lbs. Weight helps with LR shooting. However, now that I've packed it around mountains for a few years, saving a few lbs with a CF barrel or #4 contour makes sense.

I'm getting 2780 fps with 300 grain Berger's and a 26" barrel. Most of the cartridge's you mention are within 100 fps of each other. I agree with others that splitting hairs on velocity shouldn't be a big concern. Decide if you want to fire form and what brand of brass you want to pay for. After shooting my 338 for a few years, owning something much bigger like a 33XC is rather intriguing.

When using a Rem 700 action, keep it simple and go with a RUM or Edge. If you want the Lapua based case, go with a custom action. No headaches and no worries if you should or shouldn't. Peace of mind is priceless.

I built a .338 Norma on a remington 700 action. I have a few takeaways on that....
I love my rifle, and it has shot well for probably 500 rounds or so. But, lug set back is a concern. I use Peterson brass, tough stuff, and Lapua is the same. The issue with this stuff on this action, is you won't be able to work up until you see pressure signs then reduce, pressure signs with this brass is at a point that you likely WILL get lug set back on these actions. You have to load modestly, that means you won't get the performance that most people say they get with this cartridge, when it is built on a larger action and can handle it. I personally run a 250 grain bullet at 2865 out of my 24" Norma, and not sure I would go much more if I want my action to last, so I keep my loads modest.

Now if you build an edge, you can (within reason, and keeping saftey in mind) load up until you see pressure signs, back off pressure, and run a load there and not have concerns of lug set back.

By the time I trued my remington action, had the primary extraction of my RR prefix remington fixed, had my action opened up for a Wyatts box, fluted the bolt, opened up my base screws to #8, had my bolt face opened up for the lapua sized case, and installed a new extractor, I came up about $100 short of a budget minded Lapua sized action, with a much lower resale value. Looking back now, I would have gone with a custom action, or the .338 Edge on a remington, either would have been fine, though I do really like the Norma cartridge.

Just my input.

There are a ton of great 338 cartridges. I'm partial to the 338 Lapua AI. In a 28" barrel you could expect 2900-3000 FPS with a 300 grain pill. This makes a fantastic mile gun. Very easy to see dirt and/or splash on target, and it's got great terminal performance.