Going old school

My grandfather killed a buck every year in the Arizona desert with an open site 30-30 and my dad a Remington pump 30-06. I don't even think I looked through a rifle scope till I was in my 20's.
Great story, jealous you're in AZ. Dream of mine to hunt there some day. My 1907 1894 30wcf shoots very well if I do my part. May just be a mental hang up, but so used to seeing where the bullet is impacting thru scope, having hard time adjusting to iron sights and a coarser sight pic.

I have good results with a JES converted Model 94 30-30 to 38-55/375 shooting 245 grain Missouri bullets and 24 grains of IMR 4198. 200 grain Sierras if you want more velocity with I think its 35 grains.

If you want to add a new lever gun for your quest, get you a used Browning Model 71.....they dont have the collector value of the originals have so you wont worry about carrying it too much hunting. The .
20191210_204700.jpg
15879563687427590530162314946916.jpg
348 is the ticket for just about everything with Hornady 200 grains pushed by 65 grains of H4831 and Barnes and ABW make great heavyweights.

I have good results with a JES converted Model 94 30-30 to 38-55/375 shooting 245 grain Missouri bullets and 24 grains of IMR 4198. 200 grain Sierras if you want more velocity with I think its 35 grains.

If you want to add a new lever gun for your quest, get you a used Browning Model 71.....they dont have the collector value of the originals have so you wont worry about carrying it too much hunting. The .View attachment 190356View attachment 190361348 is the ticket for just about everything with Hornady 200 grains pushed by 65 grains of H4831 and Barnes and ABW make great heavyweights.
Thanks for the pics, amazing rifle. Id you still have a vintage 30wcf and like heavy for caliber bullets, Barnes just released 190gr originals for 30 cal. Can't wait to try them in mine. On a side note I may have some 255 gr Barnes originals .375 dia. If interested let me know I'll check next time I'm at my folks.

I inherited a Savage 99 30-30 from my wife's grandad. It unfortunately it was kept in a leather scabbard that ruined the finish and it needed a new buttstock. However, after replacing the stock it still shoots fairly well. I took my daughter on a Depreditation hunt and used this rifle to harvest three does from an over populated area. The shots were all 100yds or shorter. I would love to have a 250-3000 and a 300 savage in the same rifle but I haven't run across any lately. I think you will be just fine as long as you spend time practicing with the rifle you intend to hunt with and know your limits.

Attachments

• 5112FA60-7A4A-4E53-A428-2482938BF475.jpeg
    5112FA60-7A4A-4E53-A428-2482938BF475.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 310
I inherited a Savage 99 30-30 from my wife's grandad. It unfortunately it was kept in a leather scabbard that ruined the finish and it needed a new buttstock. However, after replacing the stock it still shoots fairly well. I took my daughter on a Depreditation hunt and used this rifle to harvest three does from an over populated area. The shots were all 100yds or shorter. I would love to have a 250-3000 and a 300 savage in the same rifle but I haven't run across any lately. I think you will be just fine as long as you spend time practicing with the rifle you intend to hunt with and know your limits.

Nice rifle, I actually like the saddle worn look.

I have multiple 336in 30-30, a '94 in 32spl and a 99 in 300 savage. I think I'm full up on 30-30s but I'd love to add a 99 in 250 savage or a custom 99 in 375-284. Would love to have a 45-70 cowboy like the one I stupidly sold.

I don't think of the 30-30 as being a reliable game-getter over 150 yards. It just doesn't have the velocity for a flat trajectory. Sounds like you've got a good collection going there. Good luck getting that Model 86!

I don't think of the 30-30 as being a reliable game-getter over 150 yards. It just doesn't have the velocity for a flat trajectory. Sounds like you've got a good collection going there. Good luck getting that Model 86!

I think it's now a legit 200 yard gun.....and maybe a bit more now due to the lever evolution bullets from Hornady. Basically a 25-35% improvement. Unless you are a 30-30 guy you may not even know they exist but the 160 grain poly tipped bullet really is flat for a 30-30. I shoot an old Savage 340 bolt gun but it would do the same from a 94 lever. Not trying to argue..... just maybe pointing out the new bullets exist.

I think it's now a legit 200 yard gun.....and maybe a bit more now due to the lever evolution bullets from Hornady. Basically a 25-35% improvement. Unless you are a 30-30 guy you may not even know they exist but the 160 grain poly tipped bullet really is flat for a 30-30. I shoot an old Savage 340 bolt gun but it would do the same from a 94 lever. Not trying to argue..... just maybe pointing out the new bullets exist.
Very true, my 1907 1894 26" Oct bbl literally cuts ragged holes at 50yds with lever evolution ammo and that 160gr Ftx Hornady. Also shoots Barnes vortex 150Tsx very well. Going to win bid on magneto speed v3 chronograph tomorrow will pay actual velocities when able

Very true, my 1907 1894 26" Oct bbl literally cuts ragged holes at 50yds with lever evolution ammo and that 160gr Ftx Hornady. Also shoots Barnes vortex 150Tsx very well. Going to win bid on magneto speed v3 chronograph tomorrow will pay actual velocities when able
Sorry, darn auto correct. Meant hoping to win, and will post actual velocities when able. Sorry

Will post pics if successful on the 86. I would agree
Will post pics of able to get the 86, is amazing! Would she if using standard 170gr factory ammo. As 348 fan stated, with modern factory ammo, ie, lever evolution from Hornady with 160gr Ftx at 2300fps in 20" bbl. 26" closer to 2500fps, or Barnes Vortex with 150gr Tsx roughly similar velocities, if scoped 200yds, maybe 250 should be chip shot. If iron sight, maybe 200, personally I need to practice more to get more comfortable with open sight, for now even with that modern ammo, I wouldn't go more than 150, just me.

First and right up there with the biggest body White Tail Buck I ever killed was with a open sighted Marlin 336 leaver action in 30-30 Win. 150 gr Remington HP did a number on it. I hand load 100 gr Hornady interlock bullets for my cousins Savage 99 250 Savage that has killed a train load of deer.

Here is a funny story told to me by an old fellow when I lived in WV. He was out deer hunting with his Winchester 71 in 348 Winchester caliber. It had snowed about a foot the day before his hunt. While walking down an old logging road by flash light he could see a good number of fresh tracks coming from a known bedding area going down to an area with lots of oak trees. He knew the deer were feeding on the acorns and would be coming back to the bedding area about day light. He slipped off the logging road and found a big evergreen tree with limbs pretty low to the ground that would make a perfect ground blind where he could sit and watch the trail the deer would be walking back to the bedding area. He said that he thought this was the perfect place to get out of the cold snow because the branches of the evergreen tree had shielded the ground under the tree and it was dry. He said that he got set up and about 45 minutes latter just as it was starting to get light he saw movement in the woods below him. It was some deer. They proceeded to come up the trail and he could see that they were slick heads and they passed by him about 50 yards away. About 10 minutes latter he sees movement again. This time he could tell it was a buck from a good distance away because it had a HUGE rack. The buck came walking up the trail and when He got about to where a good opening would be that was about 60 yards away he raised the rifle and carefully cocked the hammer and sighted on this open area. When the buck came into view he stopped and the fellow said he carefully aimed at the buck right behind the front shoulder and squeezed the trigger. BOOM went the 348 Win cartridge and down came about two tons of snow down on him and around him from where it had piled up on the branches of the evergreen tree. He said it took him about 30 minutes to dig himself out. He found the buck laying where it was standing when he shot. A big 10 point buck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.