GM Top Engine Cleaner - Did I buy the right stuff?

royinidaho

Just happened to be in the parts store and remember the discussion regarding GM Top Engine stuff.

Bought a can of GM Top Engine Cleaner. Its for pouring in the fuel and cleaning carbon.

Is this the right stuff? If not I'll use it in my Hummer 4&3/4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or do I just soak the powder briefly and load and shoot and let it clean while I shoot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's the right stuff. Patch it in, let it soak, patch it out. Then clean the copper out with one of the copper solvents or Wipe Out. I like Wipe Out, it works best after the Top Engine Cleaner is used.

Frank D

Good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did it backwards this time. Didn't get the GM cleaner until after I used the Wipeout.

I'll catch on one of these days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks

i'm assuming i could scrub the carbon off of my necks with this stuff? getting carbon off the necks is my biggest challenge.i've used scotch-brite and even some bore cleaners but it's tuff to get that stuff off. any ideas other than brasso?

Dave,

Just gave it a try. Went slick as a whistle.

I just wet a cloth and the carbon wiped off with no effort at all.

I usually don't worry too much about carbon on the neck as it is bit of a pain to remove. I make my fingers sore using hoppe's and such. This was way too easy. If you read the back of the can, you may wish to wear rubber gloves, though...

15oz of the stuff was less then 8 bucks w/tax.

thanks for the info Roy. i'm headin over to see mr goodwrench this morning.i'd keep those necks clean if i were you.that's where you drag a bunch of grit and chit into your dies!

Many shooters have noted (and posted) that the chemical components of GM Top Engine Cleaner are exactly the same as those listed for Butch's Bore Shine.

I just bought a bottle of Butch's and haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. It sells for $17 + S&H for a 16 oz bottle.

It would be interesting to compare them in some type of realistic test.

I never thought of this . I use this at work all the time it's nasty stuff. Grate for your car Iam going to try this in my rifle.

Take a bottle of Butches , read the ingredients , take a can of GM TEC , read the ingredients . Kinda boring reading the same thing twice in a row /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Butches has some color added , but as far as performance they are the same. I have performed tests using both on the same rifle shot the same number of rounds and the patch count is the within a patch or two either way.

Gm tec first , then Barnes CR10 ,that is all you will ever need ( course i'm in the middle of a test with some of the new Hoppes Elite carbon and copper cleaner that the rep gave me to try , jury still out on this stuff )

Jim Brown

Roy ,

Just for fun do a search for GM TEC , put it in quotes and go for posts older than 1 week .

Get your reading glasses on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, cause theres plenty

Jim Brown

[ QUOTE ]
i'm assuming i could scrub the carbon off of my necks with this stuff? getting carbon off the necks is my biggest challenge.i've used scotch-brite and even some bore cleaners but it's tuff to get that stuff off. any ideas other than brasso?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave... ULTRASONIC!

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sara and I have been using TEC with Kroil mixed 2:1. It is hands down the best powder fouling remover We've ever used.
As far as I can tell it is identical to Shooters Choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.