Gila 16a

SUPER dry…may well be the driest I have seen it. There is a fire southeast of there a ways but not in 16A so that is a plus.

You will have a great time but there needs to be a really good monsoon season.

I don't have any experience with these guys yet but have hired them for a NM deer hunt this year.

They have horses which would be a huge benifit. Not sure if they're included in the price.

Been watchin the Black fire, with the West winds, 16A should be ok. and actually get some overflow on elk from 16C and 16B. But yes, Rain is needed. Badly. Hoping someone has hunted 16A in the past couple years?

It's public land, and all the NM residents who draw go out with a buddy or 2. They set up camp with an RV, and go around in a UTV.

Sounds like you didn't get laid last night. Reading too deep into my personal Gila experience.... on 10 zillion acres.

It's basically void of wildlife. Saw a herd of Elk the 1st day, no bulls. Saw very few Elk the entire hunt. Maybe a cow here and there. 1 bull at a distance. No deer. Saw one Doe the entire time. Just one Doe !!! No Antelope at all. 4 Wolves. 3 camps with Bulls hanging, (6x6's) so there definitely are some out there. Just not too many. We did 100's of miles in the UTV, plus alot of walking, sitting over water. The Gila is not what they say it is.

It's basically void of wildlife. Saw a herd of Elk the 1st day, no bulls. Saw very few Elk the entire hunt. Maybe a cow here and there. 1 bull at a distance. No deer. Saw one Doe the entire time. Just one Doe !!! No Antelope at all. 4 Wolves. 3 camps with Bulls hanging, (6x6's) so there definitely are some out there. Just not too many. We did 100's of miles in the UTV, plus alot of walking, sitting over water. The Gila is not what they say it is.
what hunt did you have 2nd rifle?? and what year?

Did you end up going guided or on your own?? Rifle hunts for that unit haven't been under 30% success for many years. I'm sorry your hunt didn't go the way you had hoped. Seems strange for such a coveted tag to be such a terrible experience. How did you like the Gila terrain and scenery??