Getting in the revolver game

backyardsniper

Trying something new. I have a redhawk that I've had for years and I've always shot it here and there but never really practiced in earnest but I killed a deer a couple years ago with a revolver and ever since I have really gotten into it. I'm basically looking for any load advice or practice techniques or any advice you have to offer. Here's what I'm working with.
Redhawk 7.5" 44mag. I just ordered some rings for it, I've got a Leopold 2.5-8 vx3 pistol scope on hand.
1000pcs of.brand new star line brass I just ordered
900 240gr keith style SWC that I picked up for target practice as well as about 300 200gr Rainer plated bullets. I'm currently running 8.5gr of HP38 with the 240swc as a plinking load and I believe it is 22gr of 2400 with the 200gr bullets as a bit stouter practice load.
Any handgun hunting tips, what reasonable performance I can expect from this package, particularly good hunting bullet/powder combos I should look at. Shoot me whatever advice any of you dedicated wheelgun hunters out there have to offer.

I use to have that same pistol,now run 629's.I was in local rifle and pistol growing up.Shot alot iron site.Then did target 22 red dot.at a state level. I was a opportunist,shoot whatever when I was young,which was whiteail and black bear. I mainly carry back up,but if archery and I see tanker bear,pistol may come out.My son shot blackey with his 40,not long ago

I have an eotech that I could mount on it, I've just got to figure out a mounting solution with the ruger ring/base set up. This is an old redhawk with the bases cut in the actual barrel. Any suggestions on red dots that are particularly good for this application?

i have a Trijicon RMR and 3 vortex venoms. I like the venom better, surprisingly. 2 moa dot i believe on all
he makes great mounts for the older revolvers. they replace the rear iron sight mounts. lots of options

SnT

I just bought a Glock 40 Gen 4 in 10mm. Very impressed with the accuracy & it is very easy to shoot. Don't know much about pistols since I am a die hard rifle guy but it would be fun to take a deer or black bear with it. I killed my 1st black bear with a 44 mag & it did not work well at all.
Keep us posted, Thanks, Kirk

I just put together a load of 23.5 H110 behind a sierra 240 Deep curl. Shoots very good through my henry, able to hit 10" steel plate at a 100 every shot with open sights. Alot of guys gave good reviews on the 270 Deep curl as well.

Hoping to kill a hog with it next month!

Gary

Last edited:
I must say I envy you guys as us Canadians can not hunt with a pistol. As for advice practice practice practice. If it were me I would start shooting at 50 yds using positions you would use in the field. The Ruger revolvers are supposed to be very strong so practice with what you are going to hunt with. The heavier bullets are where I would look using H110 or 2400 both work well in my S&W 44Mag. Another thought I had is if you have one try shooting off of a Primos tripod trigger stick.

On a side note what is considered good accuracy with a revolver at 25yds and a 2.5 power scope. I was sitting and rest ing my arms on my kneesand got a 2.5 inch group with my 500S&W Mag the other day. It is a nice pistol toshoot.

I have the same Redhawk. Don't remember the charge weight. but used to shoot 296 for IHMSA competition. Most guys were running 296, H110, or 2400. I was never happy with the jacketed bullet performance on game so switched to the same cast bullet I shot in competition, a 300 grain hard cast, gas checked WFN from LBT. Leave a golf ball size wound channel no matter the shot angle. Shot a doe at close range that I jumped in the marsh grass. Broke the pelvis, several vertebrae, and exited the brisket. Make sure of your down range "beyond the target" (as always) if you go this route.
Best advice I can give is practice, practice, practice. 50 yards was the biggest hurdle for me. Once I got this down, 100, 150, and 200 came easy. And this was with open sights. Pistols are unforgiving to shoot so they teach you amazing trigger control. Proficiency with them requires constant practice and this will only help with your rifle skills.

Lots of good input, keep it coming. I'll definitely check into more of the hard cast stuff. I've never used gas checks. Any special steps required for loading with those? Thanks guys

Gas check base is part of the bullet mold. You simply install them when you size and lubes the bullet. It crimps the gas check onto the base of the bullet. They help minimize the lead build up in your barrel if it's a bit rough or when shooting heavy loads.

For just practice and trigger time, Trailboss powder is amazing. It works with any bullet weight and gives great low velocity, low recoil practice rounds. I like H110 and Ramshot Enforce for full power loads.

I like 270-300gr bullets in the 44 Mag for hunting. The Hornady XTP and Speer Deepcurl bullets are both really good for jacketed options and the Cast Performance bullets are great for hard cast loads. I've had good luck with the Barnes XPB bullets as well if you want a combination of penetration and expansion.

The big thing to remember about handgun hunting is that they kill game more like a muzzle loader than they do a rifle. Impact velocities are pretty low and getting a bullet that will penetrate well and expand reliably can be a little tricky. I'm a big fan of pass through shots with revolvers so I lean towards the heavy side of bullet weights just so I can get two holes even if I hit bone.

I've had the best accuracy in my 8 3/8" SW 629 DX and 4 5/8" SBH with max loads of H110/W296 (literally the same powder) and Hornady XTPs. From a steady rest, both pistols will print right around an inch at 25 yds. The Smith will send a 180 XTP at ~1900 fps and the 240 XTP at ~1450 fps. The Ruger will send them at 1750 and 1350 respectively. I don't think I'd use the 180 XTP for hunting, but it's about the best medicine I've seen for milk jugs and fruit. I've caught dozens of magnum bullets in water and wetpack, and the 240 XTP is a real beast. Good frontal expansion makes fist sized cavities 3-4" into wetpack, but there's the big shank left to drive them 16-20" deep. They don't go as deep as hard cast WFN bullets, but I'm pretty sure they'll pass through anything but the biggest critters (grizzly, buffalo, etc). Going much above a 240 in the 44 mag will really start eating up case volume, so I find them to be the best compromise of weight and speed.

The Speer Deep Curl also has textbook performance in wet pack, but I've never been able to get them to shoot as good as the XTP.

Regarding shooting skills, as mentioned, get lots of practice with what you hunt with. POI shift with different bullets can be SUBSTANTIAL in handguns. The two aforementioned XTPs print several inches different, even at 15 yds, which turns into feet at 75-100 yds. The lighter bullets actually print lower, which I believe is because they exit the barrel sooner during the muzzle rise under recoil.

I recently installed a Vortex Venom on my 454 Casull, and have another to put on the SW 629. The aiming precision and speed is outstanding, but finding the dot on presentation can be a bit difficult, so you'll want to practice a lot to get the muscle memory ingrained (dry fire in your man cave is great). Optics on revolvers sit way above irons, and if you're used to irons, you'll find yourself coming in low as you bring the pistol up, then hunting for the dot. Having a VERY tall front sight installed helps, as it draws your eye to the correct height as you lift the gun.

Good luck, and have fun. Big revolvers are sweet! 😁

Revolvers.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts