Getting Closer to Make the Shot?

The decision on whether to take a long shot or close the distance seems to be different in every case, but always based on the "highest" probability of making the shot.

Therein lies the rub with me. If everyone practiced this while they were hunting, I wouldn't have any problem with 'longrange hunting'. But I've heard way too many examples and seen way too many on the various TV shows that are trying to sell their long range products where this simply isn't the case. All too often it seems to come down to nothing but the yardage and the ability to thump one's chest when it's over.

I think a lot of us hunt with the highest of ethical standards, but with LR hunting becoming such a trend, there will always be a group of guys that give LR hunting a bad rap by making awful shots on animals. On top of that there's plenty of people who don't like any form of hunting. And part of why I like hunting so much, I get away from all those people.:rolleyes:

Anyways, I could write a novel about this topic, but on this forum I would just be preaching to the choir. But this thread got me thinking back to a bull I shot back in the early 2000's. I had to move back away from the herd to find a solid place to shoot from, where I found a nearly bench-solid rest using the limbs of a pine tree. Back then I never thought of it as Long Range... I was just hunting.

I'm not out there to change the world, I just like to hunt, and I do so with my own high level of ethics. I think the best that any of us can do is continue to hold ourselves to the highest set of standards and do our best to pass that along to others. I like to think that eventually that would make a difference.

I think a lot of us hunt with the highest of ethical standards, but with LR hunting becoming such a trend, there will always be a group of guys that give LR hunting a bad rap by making awful shots on animals. On top of that there's plenty of people who don't like any form of hunting. And part of why I like hunting so much, I get away from all those people.:rolleyes:

Anyways, I could write a novel about this topic, but on this forum I would just be preaching to the choir. But this thread got me thinking back to a bull I shot back in the early 2000's. I had to move back away from the herd to find a solid place to shoot from, where I found a nearly bench-solid rest using the limbs of a pine tree. Back then I never thought of it as Long Range... I was just hunting.

I'm not out there to change the world, I just like to hunt, and I do so with my own high level of ethics. I think the best that any of us can do is continue to hold ourselves to the highest set of standards and do our best to pass that along to others. I like to think that eventually that would make a difference.

I agree with all that has been said. I agree with Timber338 though. There are just going to be people who hunt that don't give two craps about the animal that they are going to try to kill. They don't care about humane killing just as long as they get the job done. I firmly believe that anyone who cared about humane killing of animals for food would be able to teach themselves what their MER is whether they were taught in a class or not. If they cared, they would go out and shoot their rifles and do it regularly to find out how far they are or are not able to take game.

I don't see longrange hunting as a way to thump my chest. I see it as a way to increase my chances of taking game. It doesn't really matter how far out or how close it is for me although the whole process for LR hunting is fun. If I see an elk at 1000 yard and the conditions are right, then I will take the shot as I feel comfortable in doing so. If the elk is 150 yards away and the conditions are right, then I am taking the shot.

My LR hunting happens from specific "hides" where I practice all summer and hunt during the season.

From the hide it's a 2 hour hump to the closest spot where game crosses on the other side of the canyon. If I saw game over there, and knew it would stay put, I'm make the hike. Did that one time though. The hike was 2 1/2 hours. Should have stayed at the hide.

At these spots MER is determined by Ma Nature. With wind within my specified limits, as in next to none, MER is 1200 yards.

When wind is there MER drops really fast to 600 yards.

Just me, and at those spots.

Walk and stalk is a whole other story.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts