getting bullet trace on film?

EXPRESS

I just bought a new video camera which has a 50x zoom, and I would like to get some hunting and shooting footage on film, especially bullet traces.

Now, from what I have read the ideal position to capture the trace from is behind the shooter and just off to one side. Also, to put the target in the bottom third of the frame, so as to capture the arc of the bullet heading towards the target.

I've tried this, and some variations, but haven't been able to capture any bullet trace so far.

Are there any secrets I need to know?

Several years ago I was instructed to get as lined up behind the bore as possible and that has always seemed to work for me. The more lined up with the barrel the quicker the spotter will pick it up. Not that you won't see it laying next to the shooter, it just makes it a little more difficult to read it accurately from an angle.
You may also have the zoom too high on the camera, I find that 15-20 is what works for me in most situations. I basically have the power set just high enough to be able to spot impacts on target. Also, if you have the target in focus it'll be harder to spot trace along the bullets path. Focus in on the target and the bring it back into you until the target is starting to blur, but not so much that when you do get an impact you can still tell its exact location. Most will say this focus is 2/3 to 3/4 of the distance to the target.

Another thing I've noticed is that my camera keeps wanting to focus on the target, like in this video. The target is just out of focus enough that it's not a totally crisp picture. The trace is very visible all the way to the 725yard target.

Added: ok, the video will not load...sorry!

30x may be kind of high, what ranges are you shooting? I mean it is 50% higher than what is normally recommended.

If the camera has auto focus try turning it off and do it manually.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.