Gameking 85gn BTHP and 6mmBR

BriKW

A year ago I bought a Shilen 6mm Barrel 1:10 twist. I also found a varmint rifle that had been abused pretty hard in a .243win i thought i could bring around. Well as luck would have it, the barrel was in pretty sour shap, so I had a local smith install the new shilen barrel. After giving it some thouht, i decided to go ahead and have him chamber it for the 6mmBR for a fun

After receiving it, I figured the heaviest bullet i could shoot and get any kind of accuracy out of would be a 90gn, so I settled for the 90gn scenar. Man oh man will it ever shoot that bullet. One thing about a 6mmBR, they shoot so well they make you feel like super man. So real happy about settling for the 6mmBr.

Now here lies the problem. My wife loves shooting it, and wants to use it for deer hunting. Her shots are going to be about 150 yards max, so I had thought of loading up some GameKing 85gn BTHP and see how well they shoot. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has tried them in the 6mmBR spesifically. I use them in the past in a .243 win with great results, but was wondering about the 6mmBR

Never had a 6br but there is no reason I can see that they wouldn't shoot good. The good news is if she just wants to shoot deer at 150 yards or less accuracy would have to be really rotten to not be able to plan on making that happen. In the end the best way to find out is just get a few and try them out!:)

I would suggest the 85 gr Nosler partition. It will open up easily yet retain approximately 60% of its weight to pass through the deer. You could put it through both upper shoulders or a variety of angles knowing it will deeply penetrate and most likely exit.

I would lean towards the Sierra 85 Varminter SP, in my mind the BTHP Gameking is too tough at those reduced velocities.
Have no fear that SP 85 is plenty of bullet as I have used it for a lot of years in a 6mm Remmy for probably close to 50 deer and a bunch of coyotes as well.

Other bullets to consider would be Hornady 87 grain SP or the above mentioned 85 Partition.

I would also choose the 85 gr Nosler partition. I have killed a few antelope with my 6mm-280 using that bullet. All shots were 350 yards or less and I can't remember one of them taking a single step.

Like you I have used the 85 GKHP in a 243 Win and it is a real deer killer but have not used it in anything else. I have a 14" barrel for my T/C Contender pistol in a wild cat caliber 6mm-225 Winchester. It has a 14" twist so the first bullet I tried was the now discontinued 80 gr Sierra Single Shot Pistol bullet. With 30 grs Varget I get 2800 fps and outstanding accuracy. I intended to use this for 150 yard and under deer hunting. The first deer I shot was at 87 yards. I placed the shot broadside tight behind the front shoulder for a perfect heart/lung shot on an average 100 lb'ish doe. At the shot she just squatted and took off like a race horse into the THICK cut over. There was NO blood trail at all and after a long circling search I finally found her about 100 yards from where I shot her. Upon examination the bullet acted like a varmint bullet and just exploaded about an inch after entering between two ribs not hitting any bone. It wiped out the lungs and did damage from what looked like hydorstatic shock to the heart. There was no exit and I only found the base section of the jacket with a little jacket attached. I shot a few more deer between 60 and 125 yards and experienced the same results. I then decided to only take neck shots or if I could get the deer to face me and put it's head down I would shoot it between the shoulder blades where the neck meets the body. Both shots took out the spine and dropped the deer in it's tracks. I did not have any of the 85 Sierra's to try at the time. My hunting buddy had some 85 Partitions that he gave me but I did not get around to trying them because I got a new barrel for deer, a 14" 30-30AI that pushes a 125 Ballistic Tip 2670 fps and kills deer dead on the spot and never used the 6mm again. I use it for varmints with 70 gr Ballistic Tips. I have been told that the 80 gr Sierra Varmint bullet is basically the same bullet as the Single Shot Pistol bullet. With your 6BR rifle you should be able to get 2900 to 3000 fps easy with 80/85 gr bullets. I would think that the 85 Sierra Game King or the Nosler Partition would be perfect for what you want.

i have been shooting 100 and 95 grain bullets out of my sako .243s with a 10 twist for a long time. very accurate. many deer and antelope with the 85 sierra bthp, and the 95 partition, and the 100 grain sierra and hornady . the 6mm br shoot those accurately too i bet. i would probably use the 90 scenar or a 85 partition .

i have been shooting 100 and 95 grain bullets out of my sako .243s with a 10 twist for a long time. very accurate. many deer and antelope with the 85 sierra bthp, and the 95 partition, and the 100 grain sierra and hornady . the 6mm br shoot those accurately too i bet. i would probably use the 90 scenar or a 85 partition .

My 6mmBR doesnt shoot 100gn and up nearly as accurate as the 90gn scenar. Wish it were an 8 twist. Either way who could pass up a 6mm shilen varmint contour barrel? Finished out at 26 inches. It shoots those scenars so well, shooting groups at 100 yards in the 2's becomes borring after a while. Exploding bottles at 200 plus yards becomes ho hum as well. You nearly have to make it a challenge at 300 yards when the wind becomes more of a factor. Case being, its a real joy to shoot.

Going on a coyot hunt in a week and wanted to load the 85gn BTHP GK.. if they do well i will see how they work on does and the like for the wife. I would give partitions a try but as i said i have 200 rounds of the BTHP for the .243 she sudenly lost interest in after shooting the BR. I see a 260remington coming in the futur if she tosses the 243 over the BR. Will make another excellent heavy barrel deer buster. Now only if i can find another shilen barrel with an 8 twist that shoots as well as the 6mmBR barrel turned out to be with the 10 twist. Il have another fun gun to shoot. Life is good

My 6mmBR doesnt shoot 100gn and up nearly as accurate as the 90gn scenar. Wish it were an 8 twist. Either way who could pass up a 6mm shilen varmint contour barrel? Finished out at 26 inches. It shoots those scenars so well, shooting groups at 100 yards in the 2's becomes borring after a while. Exploding bottles at 200 plus yards becomes ho hum as well. You nearly have to make it a challenge at 300 yards when the wind becomes more of a factor. Case being, its a real joy to shoot.

Going on a coyot hunt in a week and wanted to load the 85gn BTHP GK.. if they do well i will see how they work on does and the like for the wife. I would give partitions a try but as i said i have 200 rounds of the BTHP for the .243 she sudenly lost interest in after shooting the BR. I see a 260remington coming in the futur if she tosses the 243 over the BR. Will make another excellent heavy barrel deer buster. Now only if i can find another shilen barrel with an 8 twist that shoots as well as the 6mmBR barrel turned out to be with the 10 twist. Il have another fun gun to shoot. Life is good

I get this with Lapua 90gn scenars

Attachments

• received_931563083599193-1.jpg
    received_931563083599193-1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 368
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.