Galled brass

drpbroun5

I have just begun to learn to neck turn brass. I am told that the first attempt resulted in galled brass. I did lubricate the mandrel and necks. I used a graphite lube on some and Imperial wax on others. Have I ruined the brass? Do I discard? Is there a fix ? If so, what? I first expanded the necks with a Sinclair expaning manderal. I then turned the brass using a turning manderal. I used a power screwdriver to turn them. I used a Sinclair neck turner. Some did get hot but not all. What do I do from here? Thanks.

Paul

Do you mean the insides of necks are galling?
Are the necks a tight fit?
Are the necks and mandrels clean and smooth?
Are you taking alot off with each turn?

Also, I wouldn't use a dry film lubricant, and I've never found die 'wax' to work well for anything really.
I've used Mobil1 without issue, and let the turner body rest in a shallow bowl of alcohol for a minute between cases(for cooling). You must keep it all clean, and re-lube the turning mandrel everytime.

If you've galled your turning mandrel, you might put in an order for another. Maybe spring for the carbide option.

Last edited:
It is the brass that is galled, whatever that means. What does it mean? Is it retrievable? I think the mandrels are OK. How do I know? How do you apply the Mobile 1? Is there a trick in ajusting the cutter on the Sinclair turner? I am using a feeler guage. I have just set the gap at what gives me the correct neck wall thickness. This takes a lot of tries to get it right. There must be an easier way. Thanks.

Paul

I use Sinclair NT-1000 neck turning kit and it's design is for hand turning and not use of power screw driver.
I think what is happing by using the power driver you are spinning the brass to fast and it's heating up on the mandrels thus causing the galling.
Also I always anneal my brass before neck turning so the brass is softer and it doesn't take much effort to skim the necks.

Charlie

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.