GA Precision build. Help me decide!

I'm in the same position. Literally headed to KC in 2 weeks and I thought I would stop by before placing an order. I am torn between a 300 PRC in ? flavor vs an Extreme Hunter in 6.5 PRC.
I've never seen an extreme hunters anything but 6.5 saum but if PRC is a possibility that would be awesome

Here's a GAP with the EH-2 and a 3-15x50 for reference

AC057778-CB6C-4422-BC6D-638DBEC2D823.jpeg
C9AD824A-E985-498F-912D-0996365E8F1B.jpeg

Yeah, I agree. I'm set on the proof barrel.
We will
I'm planing on having GA precision build a rifle soon and I can't for the life of me decide what caliber I want to go with. My heart was set on 28 nosler for some time, but now I'm trying to decide between 28 nosler and 300PRC. Another rifle maker (not gap) told me if I went with the 28 nos, they wouldn't give me an accuracy guarantee bc in their opinion there isn't any good factory ammo available. I'm not a reloader, and I'm beginning to think my options for factory 300 PRC would be less limited. The rifle will primarily be a long range hunting rifle. I would like to keep it in the 6-7.5 pound range. So far what I have in mind is
GAP Templar Hunter V2
Manners MCS-T with elite tac carbon fiber
Proof research Sendero (Gap recommended going Bartlein over proof bc of consistency) thought?
TriggerTech Primary

This will be my first custom rifle so I want to put enough thought into it that I don't wish I had done something differently.
I live in the east but this rifle will be for big game. Will be going out west often and to Alaska in 2021. I'm pretty set on the proof barrel. Aesthetically a proof carbon barrel and a manners carbon stock can't be beat in my opinion. Anything I can do to get weight down is also a plus. I have both a 300 win mag and a 7mm rem mag so I want to do something a bit different here. Cost of ammo isn't too much of s concern for me in a hunting rifle since I won't be shooting it a ton.
Something different.....257WBY, 6.5STW, 25STW, .350REM, 7WSM, 7x57, 7/08, 338/06

Heres what I've learned when it comes to building custom rifles. First get what YOU want. You are paying and you get to shoot it so get what makes you happy. Since you know what parts you want to use start calling gunsmiths that specialize in those builds. If a gunsmith doesnt like the parts you want to use then find one that will. Most gunsmiths have their preferred brands and stick to them. They dont like going in a different direction usually. Good luck and I sure hope you get what you want.

Heres what I've learned when it comes to building custom rifles. First get what YOU want. You are paying and you get to shoot it so get what makes you happy. Since you know what parts you want to use start calling gunsmiths that specialize in those builds. If a gunsmith doesnt like the parts you want to use then find one that will. Most gunsmiths have their preferred brands and stick to them. They dont like going in a different direction usually. Good luck and I sure hope you get what you want.
I've never thought about it that way but you have a point for sure. After talking with them more both gap and other builders have told me that the issue with the proofs are that groups start to loosen even after a few shots. On this rifle though, weight savings is more important to me. It's only going to be used for mountain hunting where hopefully I take one shot at a time.

I've got a couple barts and a Proof CF barrel in the safe. All rifles shoot factory ammo ~0.5 MOA (5 shot groups) out to at least 400 yards (furthest I shoot for paper groups), and at least 1 MOA out to 1,000 yards (furthest I shoot MOA sized steel).

I shoot 5- & 10-shot strings in the proof with a suppressor on it about as fast as I can run the bolt, and see zero problems with consistency.

If you go with a steel barrel, I would agree that an EH-2 might be a better fit. Also, have you felt the difference between the more open grip MCS-T/EH-2 and vertical grip T-2/EH-1?

I've never thought about it that way but you have a point for sure. After talking with them more both gap and other builders have told me that the issue with the proofs are that groups start to loosen even after a few shots. On this rifle though, weight savings is more important to me. It's only going to be used for mountain hunting where hopefully I take one shot at a time.

I understand that you want the rifle to be as light as possible while still maintaining the quality you're looking for and expecting at this price range. But I personally would never trade a few ounces for accuracy. If I have a highly respected gun builder tell me that a particular custom barrel is going to start opening up after a few rounds, I'm going to believe them and stay away from that barrel.

I'm planing on having GA precision build a rifle soon and I can't for the life of me decide what caliber I want to go with. My heart was set on 28 nosler for some time, but now I'm trying to decide between 28 nosler and 300PRC. Another rifle maker (not gap) told me if I went with the 28 nos, they wouldn't give me an accuracy guarantee bc in their opinion there isn't any good factory ammo available. I'm not a reloader, and I'm beginning to think my options for factory 300 PRC would be less limited. The rifle will primarily be a long range hunting rifle. I would like to keep it in the 6-7.5 pound range. So far what I have in mind is
GAP Templar Hunter V2
Manners MCS-T with elite tac carbon fiber
Proof research Sendero (Gap recommended going Bartlein over proof bc of consistency) thought?
TriggerTech Primary

This will be my first custom rifle so I want to put enough thought into it that I don't wish I had done something differently.

So you are building a Ferrari and gonna put regular 87% octane in it...
Hummm....

I talked with red rock precision a while back and they told me Hornady factory 300 prc was about as good as it gets

Took my GAP out again today. Majority .5 x 5 shot groups, couple of .3 and .25s. I would call them and ask if they can personalize a build for you. I love my GAP. I don't think you can go wrong with them in any cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts