fun at the range

Rich Coyle

Yesterday I asked a guy who has a spotting scope to go to the range with me to watch the bullet impact locations. This is the first time to stretch this rifle with a witness. When you realize the farthest I have killed a deer is 222 yards you get the idea I was really shooting long range. The rifle, with its Harris bi-pod, is sighted in for 300 yards.

I dialed up to 500 yards and got into prone, laying straight back, like I was instructed here the other day. I tried to find a rock about one minute in size. The cold bore shot hit. I fired another and missed by maybe an inch at 12 o'clock. I returned the turret to its 300 yard setting. While the rifle cooled I fired two .454's to chronograph the difference in a stock 7 1/2" barrel and a majorly ported by KEEPER 10" barrel.

Next I twisted the scope to 600 yard setting and again got behind the rifle in the straight back prone position. Again I tried to find a rock about one minute in size. Two hits! I returned the turret to its 300 yard setting and set it aside to cool.

The guy with spotting scope pulled out a .223 black rifle and proceeded to fire at a gong about 600 yards out. Since I wear glasses I could hardly see in the spotting scope, but did call a hit and then a miss and then a hit for him. (I have tried about half a dozen spotting scopes. None have enough eye relief.)

Back behind my rifle with it set on 400 I fired. A hit. Fired again and got another hit. Again I returned the setting to 300 yards. When the rifle cooled I tried to hit a 300 yard gong off hand. I didn't expect to hit because I have been practicing alone and just don't do well. I called a close miss at 10:30. The spotter agreed.

I declare this rifle and load ready for hunting season: Deer, elk, caribou and sheep on this year's agenda.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.