Freak Mule Deer from Nebraska

Supermag

This deer was not taken at long range (276 yards) but I thought you guys might find it interesting due to a very interesting development. This Mule deer is still in full velvet (minus a little rubbed off from dragging it) and it was shot yesterday, November 20.

It was taken by me while hunting with another LRH member Ogallala_1. My previous plans to hunt by Valentine, NE had to be cancelled due to an emergency so luckily John was good enough to take me out to one of his hunting spots where I was able to harvest this nice mulie, which also happens to be my first mule deer. So I'd also like to add a big thanks to John for getting me on this, quite possibly, once in a lifetime buck.

Picture004.jpg

Were there any nuts on that buck? Wonder if the testosterone was flowing at normal concentrations in his blood stream. Pretty weird to still be in velvet.

Anyone we be proud to have that for there first muley ( still looking for my first had a chance but choked) and a friend like that to help out. I hope it wasnt a bad emergency.

The testicles never dropped in this deer and I only saw one when field dressing it. It was definetly not rutting at all either.

Thanks, I'm very proud to have this as my first mulie and I'm glad to have a friend like John. The emergency was pretty much over but we still had to call our plans off so the dog could get back and see it's own vet as soon as possible.

I have seen this many times where I am from. The reason I see it is because it is a white tail/ mule deer cross. The ones I have mainly seen have Mule Deer antlers and a mixed mule deer/white tail deer, tail. It will be really wide like a white tail but it will have darker colored hair. I have only seen one that had white tail style antlers, all of these cross breeds are still in velvet and usually do not have nuts.

Two months ago the Mule Deer Foundation had an article about cross breed animals. If you want to know more that is where I would look.

I was also going to say to look at his ears, they are smaller than a regular mule deer. Hope that helps.

Yes - the ears are too small for mule deer ears. Thanks for adding to the thread.

Hey - congrats on your buck! It looks like your first is a novelty item. A hybrid whitetail / muley mixture.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.