Franklin nails a coyote at 1056

Discussion in 'Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)' started by LRSickle, Jun 7, 2012.

1. LRSickle

LRSickle Well-Known Member

This is a picture of Franklin and his 1056 yard coyote. He's a machinist and runs a machine shop in Logan, Utah. He was hunting bears north of his Franklin, Idaho home and while glassing, spotted this coyote. He and Forrest ranged it at 1056 yards. He's a very acomplished long range shooter and well.... ya can't pass that shot up! One shot and he rolled him. Well done, very well done!
    He shoots a .338 Ultra Mag, 100gr H1000, 225gr Accubonds at 3200fps.
    [​IMG]

2. Browninglover1

Browninglover1 Well-Known Member

Nice shooting! Which shop does he run?

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Nice goin'!

Looks like you Utar fellas are a bit ahead of us Idahoe fellas!

But.....we're comin' on strong.

Nice poke!

4. IdahoCTD

IdahoCTD Well-Known Member

Nice going Shane.

How is your bait doing? We've got 8 bears off of ours so far.

5. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Outstanding...gun)

6. LRSickle

LRSickle Well-Known Member

He runs the Icon Health and Fitness machine shop. He has several multi-axis CNCs, a couple lathes, a plunger(?), some mills and a EDM. I had the key to his shop so I use to sneak in his shop during the night shift and use his lathe, welder, mill, sandblaster and powder coat for home projects. He was OK as long as I didn't crash his stuff.

He's just down 10th from your shop Browninglover1.

7. Franklin

Franklin Well-Known Member

Our baits were getting hit, but everything that was coming in still had milk on there chin. The area we were hunting is not known for a ton of bears, but it's close to home. The night I shot this dog, they were everywhere. I shot 4 others at 349, 396,547 and 803. Can't beat that for fun.:D

8. IdahoCTD

IdahoCTD Well-Known Member

We found kids to shoot the ones with milk on their chins :D. If you can't shoot wolves one of the next best things for helping fawns and calves is to shoot bears. F&G did a study in the 70's up in Salmon where they removed all the bears they could. The elk numbers tripled within a few years. As the bear numbers came back the elk population dropped until it was back to normal. I just saw two of the smallest fawns I have ever seen on Monday so they are hitting the ground and you can bet the bears will be trying to catch them along with any other predator.