Fox Pro, Lucky Duck, or Icotec

I have a Lucky Duck Revolt and just bought and then almost immediately sold a MFK Foxpro X24.

The X24 underwhelmed in almost every category head to head with the revolt. Definitely not as loud which is important on 40 mph contest days. The Revolt was head and shoulders above the Foxpro in sound clarity and quality. The Foxpro programming software is usable sure but it is not intuitive at all and just in general a PITA. The remote is nice and the 5 year warranty is easily the best in the business and was a major selling point in me buying one anyways.

I have not owned an Icotec but have hunted over them quite a bit. If a reliable 150 yard remote range is truly as important as you say the ICOTEC remote range is superior to both Foxpro and Lucky Duck. (Lucky duck lags behind in remote range and reliability) I would call Icotec very middle of the pack every where else.

Just my 2 cents. Most of this is highly subjective and nearly all opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I've killed coyotes with all 3 if you asked me to rank them today Lucky Duck 1, Icotec 2, Foxpro 3 but that's just me.

I just picked up the icotec outlaw, so far very pleased and think its a good deal for the price. Never had a foxpro or luckyduck to compare it with. A buddy just got the foxpro x24 and is very happy with that as well. I dont think you can go wrong with any of those choices.

If you have a pet Goose or your neighbor has some. Bring with you and put it on an a 6' to 8' TETHER and spread some feed around so it will walk around, eat and feel comfortable. Then start making a bunch of squawking, crow, hawk sounds. If you have a mechanical Hawk (we have a Red tail with rotating wings) put it up about 10 yards away. Any Yote or cat in the area will come running in!

I liked to have a light-colored dog with me, they are trainable, and a good dog will learn to bring the coyotes back to your location and keep them there even if you are detected by the coyotes. It seemed that a female dog wasn't as aggressive as a male dog. A medium sized dog also worked best, and when the coyotes were in their area, they want to keep other canines out of it. While a large dog as a home defense dog that could kill a coyote or two and protect the livestock worked for that situation. I tend to like to travel light and not want to mess around a lot where I'm setting up to try and fool coyotes because I feel the more, I move around at the site I'm setting up in the more chance I have at telling the coyotes it's a set up and to be harder to call in. But there again it's a personal choice and what works for each of us is what we should do because for most of us it's about the enjoyment of doing it not a job that needs to be done successfully, to stop them from killing. I haven't kept up with all of the changes in the E-calls of recent years and I am sure that they are all pretty good compared to when they first started coming out, there are probably still some out there that shouldn't be sold but I figure that they will all work to get the job done when we do our part as well.

If you have a pet Goose or your neighbor has some. Bring with you and put it on an a 6' to 8' TETHER and spread some feed around so it will walk around, eat and feel comfortable. Then start making a bunch of squawking, crow, hawk sounds. If you have a mechanical Hawk (we have a Red tail with rotating wings) put it up about 10 yards away. Any Yote or cat in the area will come running in!
I have chickens, so I guess I could just use one of those but with the price of eggs nowadays, I don't think I will be doing that!

Zen,

When not using mouth calls, i'm using an Icotec.

Problem with calls where i'm at is i get blackbear, foxes, bobcats in too.
We have very strict seasons on all but coyotes.

338 Dude, don't you have an obnoxious rooster that needs to go away? ( I know, that's redundant...😁)

As to mechanical decoys, years ago I bought a bunch of dove decoys that had a "clothes pin" type of fastener. I made some "T" shaped metal posts out of #9 wire to fasten them to. I then spray painted them jet black gloss along with a mechanical dove decoy that has rotating wings.

I set my caller, draped in a piece of fake fur, on the ground in front of the moving decoy, put the other decoys scattered around them, and cut loose on the caller. Crow distress works for starters, but I have also successfully used other bird distress calls as well as coyote fight calls.

Yes, you will get crows showing up if they're anywhere around, but that's not a bad thing, they are more confidence decoys for you. 😁

The stark contrast of the jet black birds and the one moving really holds the coyotes' attention once they get a visual on the ruckus.

A half-dozen bird decoys, the stakes, and the one moving decoy all fit in a small duffel that I can strap onto my calling pack, so it's really not much added to my load.

Ed

I have two pretty nice calls:

Wildlife Technologies mighty Atom MA-21

FoxPro X-Wave

While the MA-21 is louder the X-Wave controller is FAR ,FAR superior to the MA-21 analog. Sound quality is about equal (volume does not equal sound quality) The X-Wave is so much more advanced and true stereo, you can play two different calls simultaneously. I use the X-Wave a lot more, plus the rechargeable battery pack is hard to beat and lasts a long time even in sub zero temps!!!

OHHH, almost forgot you can change your sounds on the X-Wave yourself!

Best of luck to you, cellguy! Remember to start out at a lower volume than you think you need, especially with the newer callers that have much better quality.

Ed