Found dead Ram

Yes it is like about, Im guessing, because I am not looking at one. The F&G drill lets say a 5/8'' HOLE in back of horn, Then they install, flush to surface a metal plug w/ ID INFO, this part could probably be replicated, but this info is in F&G data base, and I dont think it is easy to copy

lightbulb Thanks sp6x6, now I got a mental picture of it. Makes sense, probably has a code in it maybe similar to like a microchip they can put under the skin of dogs so if they get lost and found the owner can be notified.

SP6x6,

I believe your partially correct but from talking to the local game warden that patrols the Sun River Game range area, one of the best for big rams, I beleive you have to have a permit to hunt Big Horn Sheep before you can get a set of horns plugged.

Unless you have been drawn for a ram permit and pick up the head during regular season for Sheep hunting, I think you would never walk out of a F&G building with a plugged ram you found dead.

Just what I understand talking to the local warden that deals with this stuff all the time. Certainly not trying to pick a fight in any way. I would not risk it, let it lay as we all know how well the F&G do with common sense!!!

I believe this ram was found right near or on the Cadomin mine site in Alberta. In Alberta you can have a "found dead wildlife permit" which can include a bighorn sheep. The problem is on a huge ram like this the authorities sometimes find a "reason" not to issue the permit and the horns then end up somewhere else (ie on the wall of the fishcop shop). From what I understand, this has happened several times in Hinton.

Yes Fifty, I just kinda took that for granted, the tag:) In our local paper today, is the case of the illegal guide, and undercover F&G SHOT A 200" ram after using radios and crossing private property,think that was 2 yrs. ago

But what is a plug? is it a device that's actually plugged into the piece of horn...like an ID plug? What's it look like and if not to sophisticated how do they avoid conterfeit plugs. I've never heard of this stuff before and it really has me curious.
Chas1,
Most US States and Canadian Providences "plug" sheep horns. A plug consists of a hole drilled into the backside of the horn and a numbered metal plug carefuly tapped into the hole, with a hammer, that cannot be removed without damaging the horn. In most states its illegal to possess a sheep skull with intack horns unless it has been plugged. In Oregon is is illegal to be in possession of sheep horns unless you have drawn a tag, harvested a legal sheep and its been drilled and plugged. But if you are hiking in Idaho and you happen to find a winter kill (or cougar killed) sheep in Idaho (close to the Oregon border:)) and take it to the local Idaho F&G office they will drill and plug it and you can be in legal possession of the horns and skull. All states vary but the "plugs" are for the most part a mandatory practice in most states and Canadian Providences.
Semper FI Chas1 & if you draw a tag PM me! :D

Heres what they look like in Alberta. They drill a hole and epoxy it in, they save some of the shavings for DNA and take photos.
Paulsmisc018.jpg

Thanks, we got it pretty sweet in Alberta, its like the Safari Land of North America. I killed this ram in 09 on a tag bought over the counter (not too many places you can do that!)

What did the boone and crocket update say? The link it took me to was for July's spotlight.

I cant believe that so many people's panties get in a wad over a "dead" animal that died of natural causes. Unbelievable. Is it because its population is on the decline? I thought I read something about Big Horn sheep having very very stringent age rules on shooting them. But regardless......What is the point of restricting what you can do with it AFTER its dead from natural causes? ha-ha. Crazy EH.

Not sure about Canada, but we have open season on exotics in Texas. Anytime time of the year...day or night. Hammer down. gun)

African Aoudad 32"

IMG_0989-1.jpg

I can see some of the logic in that, but killing an animal in the winter and hoping that it is still there in the Spring....ehhhh. You gotta do something more than just leave it. Grizzlies, etc. would be having their way with it spreading those bones within a mile of there. Idk. I just dont think people should go "to jail" for killing an animal or removing the carcass of a dead one. There are a lot worse things going on right now. Thats just my opinion though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.