Forming 6.5 prc from 300 prc

Ha—I knew it was only a matter of time before a creative and resourceful member chimed in!

Nothing is impossible. Not all things are reasonable for the average Joe without strong guidance. Perhaps you can walk OP through how you would approach the project.
post #5

I form brass all the time.

making 308 out of 06 brass is easier than you think. I made a bunch of it for the kids locally last year when you couldn't find 308 anywhere.

for those that say it isn't going to happen think again. You wouldn't believe the things i have formed, all it takes is the right stuff and will to make it happen
And I doubt it's gunna be very good quality when finished

REALLY i can tell you have never formed brass before, it has the same quality as the brass you start with
I've never formed a long action cartridge into a short. That's hard to believe that it would be very good especially with normal brass forming techniques.

REALLY i can tell you have never formed brass before, it has the same quality as the brass you start with
I'm not saying it can't be done. It just doesn't make since in my mind but I have never seen it done before. I know there's gotta be a way. Probably way to many steps to make it worth doing. Id love to see a video of it being done though.

it is not as bad as you think. with the right forming dies or standard sizing dies and patience it is doable.
i dont do videos but if you take a 308 die remove decapping stem and then run a 30-06 case in slowly, you will feel brass start to flow and in the end you have a 308 with a .800 long neck, trim, neck turn, shoot that simple.
now fatter cases with steeper shoulders need more steps in this case .338, .300, .284, .264 but doable.
i shortened the 375 ruger case which is the parent for 300 prc to 2.350 and necked to 7mm, basically a 7 rem mag but shoots long bullets without taking up case space and stays in standard length mags.
now i am working on shortening the ultra mag case to 2.250 and then blowing it out to a long WSM case
only thing holding you back is imagination

Hello everyone.. just wondering if anyone else has tryed to make 6.5 prc brass out of 300 prc brass.. I'm supper new at brass forming and could use some pointers.. As I just keep folding in the necks.Sorry no pictures as I just whent back to work and forgot to take some.. I'm using
- Once fired hornady 300prc brass
- trimmed to 2.050
-Amp annealed
-imperial sizing wax
- Co-ax press
- RCBS & Redding & Hornady "FL"
The 300 PRC is based off of the .375 Ruger, the 6.5 PRC based off of the 300RCM.

I think you're trying to drive a round peg into a square hole.

it is not as bad as you think. with the right forming dies or standard sizing dies and patience it is doable.
i dont do videos but if you take a 308 die remove decapping stem and then run a 30-06 case in slowly, you will feel brass start to flow and in the end you have a 308 with a .800 long neck, trim, neck turn, shoot that simple.
now fatter cases with steeper shoulders need more steps in this case .338, .300, .284, .264 but doable.
i shortened the 375 ruger case which is the parent for 300 prc to 2.350 and necked to 7mm, basically a 7 rem mag but shoots long bullets without taking up case space and stays in standard length mags.
now i am working on shortening the ultra mag case to 2.250 and then blowing it out to a long WSM case
only thing holding you back is imagination
I'm assuming you've gotta have a good press with a lot of mechanical force? I feel that it may break my reloading bench haha. It's in need of some reinforcement.

The 300 PRC is based off of the .375 Ruger, the 6.5 PRC based off of the 300RCM.

I think you're trying to drive a round peg into a square hole.
The 300RCM is based off the 375 Ruger also.

Can1010 has it figured out.

A bushing style forming die would probably simplify the process a lot.

The 300RCM is based off the 375 Ruger also.

Can1010 has it figured out.

A bushing style forming die would probably simplify the process a lot.
The result will be a wreck that may or may not even function in the 6.5PRC and a whole lot of ruined brass before you ever get there.

Trade/sell the 300PRC brass and by some 6.5PRC or as mentioned the 6.5SAUM brass.

Hello everyone.. just wondering if anyone else has tryed to make 6.5 prc brass out of 300 prc brass.. I'm supper new at brass forming and could use some pointers.. As I just keep folding in the necks.Sorry no pictures as I just whent back to work and forgot to take some.. I'm using
- Once fired hornady 300prc brass
- trimmed to 2.050
-Amp annealed
-imperial sizing wax
- Co-ax press
- RCBS & Redding & Hornady "FL"
The answer is be patient and wait until you can buy some 6.5 PRC brass. Stop ruining 300 PRC brass. You would have to cut off the longer case and then run it through a bunch of step downs to even come close. The issue is you likely don't have the tooling needed to form the shoulders correctly in a straight walled case.

The closest cartridge is the 300 RCM. You could try sizing down the 308 to 264, then fire forming them to your chamber with a light load before using them. We used to do this with 300 Weatherby brass to make 7mm STW brass. The whole process put a lot a wear and tear on the brass so we didn't get great life out it. But those were 2 cartridges that were very close together.

300 PRC to 6.5 PRC would be a very challenging reforming process that would probably take some intermediate sizing dies and a neck reamer and modified load data, due to a final case with less capacity due to the front 1/3rd (or so) of the 6.5 PRC case being formed from the body of the 300 PRC. The other challenge is the metallurgy of the cases. Rifle cases have 3 separate hardness zones. Head is hardest, body is softer than head but harder than neck, and the neck is the softest. With the reformed 6.5 PRC neck now being made of the 300 PRC body area, it will require annealing. Proper annealing is one of those things that's "simple, not easy" in terms of getting the harness correct... this would likely be A LOT of work and extra die/reamer expense for "questionable, at best" results in terms of success rate....at least that's what my crystal ball says... haha Best of luck!!

Not to mention the PRC brass/chamber already have issues after 4-5 reloads. Sounds like way too much brain damage to me. There's plenty of reasonably priced brass on Gunbroker, Nosler for $79 for 50 pieces. Some Peterson for $200 for 100 pieces. Anyways….. good luck! According to Unknownmunitons ADG is making 65PRC now and should be released in the near future. Go on Creedmoor Sports and pre-order it, they will charge your card when it ships. Shoot, this makes MY head hurt even thinking about trying it, I'll sell you 50 pieces of Hornady brass I have been holding on to. To the OP only, PM me if interested in 50 Hornady pieces.

Last edited: