Forester Case trimmer / Neck turner

W

*WyoWhisper*

WE I had been looking at this for some time now and finally purchased it. Basically it is sold as 2 separate things. The case trimmer is one unit with the neck turning attatchment. Previously I had the RCBS case trimmer and the Sinclair neck turner.
I have to say that I am completly impressed with Foresters product. Top quality and construction.
Actually with a little creativleness you can accuratly and quickly turn and trim your new case in one step. Instead of 2 separate.
The other nice thing is that the turning cpabilities are on a crank style handle that makes it very easy to control and turn. I actually like it better than the sinclair turner with power adapter.

feel free to ask any question you have...

Just thought I let everyone know that I feel this is an excellent product.

I too have recently purchased a Forester trimmer. I needed to remove a donut on the inside of my 6.5x284 neck. RCBS have a single flute, one cutting surface reamer—where Forester is more like a reamer, 5 cutting surfaces. Makes removing those donuts very smooth.

Nice piece of equipment

WyoWhisper,

Thank you for your assesment of the Forester case trimmer. I have been looking at that and maybe the Redding for some time.

Since you don't seem to need the power adapter, what other things do you need to order at the same time to put you in business? What about the shellholder or trim collets? BM

The Shell holder "collet" the one size fits most all cartridges ..

you do need the various caliber collets for the .224 cal. , .243, .264, .308 etc...

I got all my collets the trimmer the outside neck turner .. basicall every thing to trim and turn for 6 different rifles for about $150.....

I kinda figured out a way to trim and turn at the same time I don't know if it was designed that way but it works!!!

Sounds like you need some 6.5 WSM brass to break in that new trimmer!
wink.gif

hmmm.. they don't have one listed but I bet they have one. They have one listed for the 30WSM but it says it is not stocked.. but it seems they would have to...

Ric,

I had to loosen the screw that holds the collet holder to the base on mine so it lets the holder just barely float in all directions, up, down, left and right etc... enough so that the neck of the case that's locked in the collet will just barely not go over the pilot if the case neck is held up, down, rt or left etc.

I did this because if it was tightened down in the collet, and the pilot was loose enough to let the case be turned on it without a bunch of excess effort, it would still leave it loose enough on the pilot that the cutter would cut the necks thinner on the side.
In other words, if the collet when tightened on the case head was *torquing* the case neck *down* on the pilots top edge (run case off, then back onto the pilot and it *hits* slightly on top, not the bottom) it will cut more material off the bottom of the neck because the collet will not let the cutter force the neck against the mandrel as it rotates around it... you basically don't need a mandrel when running the cutter around it, the collet holds it that firmly in position if tight enough to keep the case from spinning from the cutter digging in and cutting.

Solution was to loosen the holder screw and let it float on the mandrel on all sides as it cut, while the collet could still be tightened enough to keep the case itself from spinning. Case necks still need to fit the mandrel as tight as possible.

The K&M, Sinclair etc, they will let the case float on the pilot so it isn't an issue with them, that's why I got the K&M unit. I never got any better results that .0005" to .001" variation in neck thickness with the Forrester, and that took loosening the holder to get that close too. Without doing that, I was getting .001" to .002" variation... sometimes more than I started with too. Using it to fit brass for a tight neck it works well but, I don't like it for trying to get them to zero variance in thickness.

Good luck with yours, just thought I'd share my experience with mine... something to look for.

Brent,

I think I followed most of that..

I am not turning for any tight necks as of yet.. I am using it mostly for "cleaning up" the necks... but I'll try you methos and see what happens...

thanks for the heads up...

Ric,

Not sure what base you got with yours, but the one I have isn't the 50BMG base but, it's 6 7/16" in length and leaves a space between the holder face and the NK turner face of 3.35", this works well for the Ultra Mag cases, big Weatherby cases etc. Thought I might let you know they do have a base this long if it's not the one you already have, seems they come with the next size shorter base most of the time. You can get them seprately for ten bucks if needed.

This base is long enough that I drilled a new hole in the slot that holds the holder onto the base about .750" closer to the pilot for trimming the 308win cases and such.

Had to open up a collet *step* and also the face of the holders bore I.D. to fit the WBY/338 Lapua size case heads in them.

I love it for trimming too.

Have any of you tried the RCBS Power Trimmer and how do you like it compared to the Forster. I still have an RCBS in a box, but the Forster seems to be set up better, and give better options than the RCBS, other than being setup for power.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

I have the Forster and I ordered a power attachment with it so I could use either a power drill or cordless screwdriver. The manual crank handle is so easy to use that I am too lazy to put on the power attachment.

[ QUOTE ]
The manual crank handle is so easy to use that I am too lazy to put on the power attachment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you work for the govt???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.