For the 264 guys

AG74

Will be elk hunting this fall with the 264 WM. Where I'm hunting I expect the shot to be 400 yds+/- 40 or so. My rifle will fire a 140 NPT at 3120, a 140 NAB at 3200, 142 LRAB around 3100 also. Given that the velocity at 400 yd will be around 2400fps, which of the three would be the best bullet choice? At the reduced velocity, is a little softer bullet better, or am I splitting hairs at that range?

Let's assume accuracy of all three loads is equal at that range.

Thanks!

My choice would be the original 140 gr Accubond. At 400 - 500 yds there is no need for the softer LRAB, plus if your shot winds up being inside 150 I'd want the stouter construction of the original especially if I had to drive one through a shoulder.

Just my .02

Chris

Randy, thanks. I had also considered the Berger. I have a box but haven't loaded for them yet. I was thinking it might not be of stout enough construction for use on elk. Could you please elaborate on your reasoning? Thanks
Al

Randy, thanks. I had also considered the Berger. I have a box but haven't loaded for them yet. I was thinking it might not be of stout enough construction for use on elk. Could you please elaborate on your reasoning? Thanks
Al

Al, I shoot a 6.5 saum and with the 140 berger, it produces very terminal results. I have had this chambering the last two years, and it has killed 2 antelope, 4 muley bucks, and 2 bull elk. These all dropped in their tracks with the exception of one mule deer buck who went 30 yards. If you do a search on berger bullets, you are going to find all kinds of good info on them and bad info on them. I am a vital guy and that is where I always strive to shoot a game animal. The berger VLD basically makes mush out of the vitals and I have seen this in all of the animals I have shot and I also shoot a 300 win mag and I use the 215 berger in that chambering. And I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with them especially the distances that you are talking about.
This bull was shot this year at 457 yards with a 140 vld hunting out of a 6.5 saum---never took a step.

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_2356.jpg
    IMG_2356.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2343.jpg
    IMG_2343.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2383.jpg
    IMG_2383.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 89
Al, I shoot a 6.5 saum and with the 140 berger, it produces very terminal results. I have had this chambering the last two years, and it has killed 2 antelope, 4 muley bucks, and 2 bull elk. These all dropped in their tracks with the exception of one mule deer buck who went 30 yards. If you do a search on berger bullets, you are going to find all kinds of good info on them and bad info on them. I am a vital guy and that is where I always strive to shoot a game animal. The berger VLD basically makes mush out of the vitals and I have seen this in all of the animals I have shot and I also shoot a 300 win mag and I use the 215 berger in that chambering. And I would not hesitate to shoot an elk with them especially the distances that you are talking about.
This bull was shot this year at 457 yards with a 140 vld hunting out of a 6.5 saum---never took a step.

Randy

Randy, great info, thanks! Great pics also. I'm guessing that's Hells Canyon?

What kind of MV does your SAUM produce?

Al

Randy, great info, thanks! Great pics also. I'm guessing that's Hells Canyon?

What kind of MV does your SAUM produce?

Al

Actually, that is central Idaho and my saum with a 24" tube hits right at 3150 with 61.5 grains of H1000. Great combination.

Randy

Will be elk hunting this fall with the 264 WM. Where I'm hunting I expect the shot to be 400 yds+/- 40 or so. My rifle will fire a 140 NPT at 3120, a 140 NAB at 3200, 142 LRAB around 3100 also. Given that the velocity at 400 yd will be around 2400fps, which of the three would be the best bullet choice? At the reduced velocity, is a little softer bullet better, or am I splitting hairs at that range?

Let's assume accuracy of all three loads is equal at that range.

Thanks!

142 LRAB. But if you open up the suggestions I would vote for a Barnes LRX 127 grainer.

My 264 WM has taken 5 elk between 50 and 850 yards as well as 2 moose, one at 265 and one at 692. All with 140 Berger VLD. In the 400 plus range they get great penetration and expansion. I have no experience with my 264 and the nosler family but I am sure they will perform.

My boy used my 264 am this past year to shoot his bull at just over 400 yards. 140 ab at 3150, center punched him through the lungs, one step and it was over. Similar results from the same gun at 500 on my big muley buck.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.