FN SPR Bolt Face Dia. Possible?

Stumpm2

I have an FN SPR action with a .308 bolt face and large claw extractor. I was wondering if it is possible to modify this bolt to accommodate a .223 bolt face or if it would be worth the hassle. This is basically a Winchester Model 70 action. Thanks.

It's easier to remove metal than to add it back.

Unless someone chimes in with experience doing this, then I suggest trading rifles, swapping bolts, or choosing a new cartridge based off of the 308 cartridge of which there are many for practically every application.

What cartridge are you wanting to change to and what will you use the rifle for?

-- richard

I have an FN SPR action with a .308 bolt face and large claw extractor. I was wondering if it is possible to modify this bolt to accommodate a .223 bolt face or if it would be worth the hassle. This is basically a Winchester Model 70 action. Thanks.

I would recomend not doing anything to the Existing bolt and replacing it with new bolt with the
proper bolt face.

If you try to reduce the bolt face you have to weld or silver solder a insert and then machine
it out to the correct size.

Silver solder has a melting temp of 1100 to 1200 degrees and welding is 4000+ degrees and
ether method will remove some of the strength(Anneal the bolt face and the lugs) and in order
to recover the strength you must re heat treat the bolt, and subsequently you will lose the silver
solder.

On odd diameter bolt faces I will buy an aftermarket bolt with a smaller bolt face and open it
up. This does not change the temper of the bolt and makes the bolt face diameter very
controllable and precise. also the extractor cut is easy to do.

There are some other cartriges that have a standard bolt face like the 308 but are less powerful
and would be easy to change without any modification to the bolt,action or Magazine. For
example= 225 Winchester, 22/250, 6mmBR, 260 Remington. ETC.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the help. I was wanting to build a 20 VT or 20 Tactical for prairie dog hunting and some coyote hunting. I guess I will look at getting a new bolt.

..or, have a look at the 20BR, Twenty Caliber Cartridge Guide

I haven't shot any of the 20 caliber cartridges. But, they sound like a lot of fun.

The 6BR is an incredible round with great accuracy and barrel life. And, you don't need to modify your boltface.

-- richard

I was looking at the 20BR, but I think it is a little overbore with extra barrel heat for prairie dog hunting. I was also looking at the 220 Russian necked down to 20 caliber without any other changes (I think 20 Beggs). I think the 220 Russian case will work with the claw extractor on my bolt face.

I was looking at the 20BR, but I think it is a little overbore with extra barrel heat for prairie dog hunting. I was also looking at the 220 Russian necked down to 20 caliber without any other changes (I think 20 Beggs). I think the 220 Russian case will work with the claw extractor on my bolt face.

I don't know anything about the 220 Russian, but if it is a rimed case it may not work if your
FN is a push feed. If it is a rimless case then it will work on ether type of action.

Look for a rimless case with the standard case head and the build will be easy.

Just a recommendation.

J E CUSTOM

So, this may be a silly question because I'm not a pdog hunter. But, why do you want to shoot a tiny little bullet with a poor bc.

Why not a 6br with a 107 SMK that's going to shoot dead nuts accurate for thousands of rounds? Do people use 6br for pdogs?

With coyotes, I suppose you could make the argument that you prefer "flatter" trajectory because there may not be time to range and dope the wind.

-- richard

So, this may be a silly question because I'm not a pdog hunter. But, why do you want to shoot a tiny little bullet with a poor bc.

Why not a 6br with a 107 SMK that's going to shoot dead nuts accurate for thousands of rounds? Do people use 6br for pdogs?

With coyotes, I suppose you could make the argument that you prefer "flatter" trajectory because there may not be time to range and dope the wind.

-- richard
R
For prairie dog hunting there are a lot of resons to shoot a light bullet. Velocity is the name of the game when you want to vaporize the dogs. A varmint bullet going 3800 to 4000 fps seconds turns the dogs into a red mist. The recoil is light enough to allow spotting your own shots and you have about 100 yards to 400 yards of place it on them and shoot without adjusting elevation. Also, you can go through 100 rounds in very little time when the babies come out. The small rounds produce little barrel heat and let you shoot longer. Reduced muzzle blast keeps the prairie dogs up longer and at closer ranges. The majority of shots are less than 500 yards with most between 200 and 300 so the need for high bc bullet is not there. I do use my 243 Ackley and even my 7mm Dakota for dogs way out there, but that is not nearly the same amount of shooting. I also use a 17 pee wee for dogs under 200 yards.

R
For prairie dog hunting there are a lot of resons to shoot a light bullet. Velocity is the name of the game when you want to vaporize the dogs. A varmint bullet going 3800 to 4000 fps seconds turns the dogs into a red mist. The recoil is light enough to allow spotting your own shots and you have about 100 yards to 400 yards of place it on them and shoot without adjusting elevation. Also, you can go through 100 rounds in very little time when the babies come out. The small rounds produce little barrel heat and let you shoot longer. Reduced muzzle blast keeps the prairie dogs up longer and at closer ranges. The majority of shots are less than 500 yards with most between 200 and 300 so the need for high bc bullet is not there. I do use my 243 Ackley and even my 7mm Dakota for dogs way out there, but that is not nearly the same amount of shooting. I also use a 17 pee wee for dogs under 200 yards.

Interesting.
I was thinking it was mostly 500+yds.
Sounds like fun.
-- richard

You can definitely concentrate on 500+ yards only, but it is more fun to just get a lot of shooting in and see how high or far you can get them to fly. I take a variety of guns to cover all ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.