FN/FAL opions

earlcurtis67

youre thoughts on the FN/FAL platform, seems to me a different way to go. after a little investigating there seems to be a lot of veriations and manufactures. not looking for top of the line, just somthin gi can build off of, thanks E

Its not as accurate as a rotating bolt rifle. What are your accuracy expectations ? You would want an AR-10 based design, or the FN - FNAR or a SCAR-17, all rotating bolt designs.

was not familar with either rifle you mentioned, after a little research the FNAR looks like a good design built off the browning BAR, and the SCAR -17 is way outside of my price range, but definatly cool. as far as accuracey demands im looking to shoot open sights or maybe a holographic type scope...

The FAL has a very long service history. It is a pretty old design and is lacking many features that allow improved accuracy. No free floated forearm, skinny breech dimension which reduces stiffness and limits accuracy. Unusual method of setting the head space (convenient in that it can be reset at any time without touching the barrel).

The falling bolt type design can be inconsistent when going into battery, affecting chamber pressure and by that the point of impact. First round out the magazine and last round are often flyers. Shooting with the gas turned off and cycling the rifle by hand will be more consistent.

They are not cheap rifles anymore. CAI built rifles will typically be cheaper but I would personally not touch one of their rifles after I have seen what they do to rifles that they assemble.

You might consider a CMMG 308 rifle instead. It is only a few hundred more, will be more accurate and is all set up with all the desirable features like the integral optics rail, free floated handguard, 416 barrel etc. If you want a FAL for the "cool" factor, that is a different matter. Most will work reliably and go bang every time and provide 2.5-3MOA accuracy. They are great for field stripping and cleaning

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.