Flying w/ammo

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
What's the scoop on taking ammo on a commercial airline. I've heard it has to be in a factory box. Is this true. If it is true how do you take your handloads w/you? I don't know if it matters but the flight is to Canada for a moose hunt.

Thanks,
B.J.

Bill,
What we did when we flew to Nebraska bird hunting was took AA boxes and put our handloaded AAs into them. But they told us that the shells did have to be in factory boxes. They did not open the boxes to check the headstamps or actual shells. We traveled with the shells in our suit cases that were checked, and did not put them in the bottom of the gun case. If you have a factory box of the same head stamp, I feel confident that you would be able to carry them. Even if you do not, I do not think they will check to see if they are headstamped by the same company of the box. I have flown little with guns, so maybe someone with a little more experience may be able to answer your question better. The airport seemed more concerned with the actual guns themself than the ammo being specific to the manufacture's box. Good luck on the trip.

Christopher

[ QUOTE ]
Would it simplify things to UPS it to the outfitter?

[/ QUOTE ] What I have done is used a govt issued ammo can to ship my ammo in, the airlines will put there sticker on it. Of course that will not stop them from loosing the ammo can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

All my ammo is handloaded and packed in the usual 50round MTM (or similar) boxes. Are you guys saying that there are regulations which prohibit me from just stuffing the boxes in my luggage which goes below?

[ QUOTE ]
All my ammo is handloaded and packed in the usual 50round MTM (or similar) boxes. Are you guys saying that there are regulations which prohibit me from just stuffing the boxes in my luggage which goes below?

[/ QUOTE ] What I will say is that the airlines will tell you the ammo must be in the original manufactures boxes (want to open that can of worms) The only reason in this world I tell friends not to bring there wildcat rifles, when they come here to hunt with me, is the lousy airlines love of loosing ammo and luggage. Your rifles will be mostly safe from loss. Not the rest of your gear. This is the only way to make a hunt if you fly out of Anchorage fly with a standard ctg chambered rifle. So that you can find ammo in the hub towns or villages without hassle. You don't have much time when you are changing planes to get whatever you need cause the airlines have screwed the pooch again! YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CARRY AMMO IN THE GUN CASE!

After talking to the airline we determined that the ammo only has to be in a shock resistant ammo container. This can be an MTM box or whatever as long as it is designed to hold ammo. Of course if I call tomorrow and talk to someone different I'm liable to get a different answer.
Thanks for the help guys!!

B.J.

Bill Bailey

In your last statement is what I understand to be the real answer. The airlines say factory ammo boxes because factory ammo boxes are DESIGNED to hold ammo. Folks have a bad habit of stuffing things in containers not designed for the item they intend to carry, ship, throw, pull, drag or otherwise transport or cause to be transported. My guess is the airlines added the factory boxes after too many folks showed up with rounds rattling around loose in luggage or 'securely' contained in old plastic bread bags/brown paper sacks/etc.

For a real kick, go to the post office/UPS/FedEx lobby hang around and look at some of the type boxes folks use to ship items (sometimes heavy and expensive items).

Ultimately I believe they're (the airline folks) saying 'We trust the ammunition manufacturers to make a safe box/carton/whatever because they ship the ammo from their plant(s) as a part of business. We DO NOT trust Joe Schmoe airline passenger to pick a sturdy box because most Joe Schmoes are not shipping experts.'

Bill
I like to use the 20 round M.T.M Case Guards. Reason being I load 40 rounds for each rifle and split the ammo up in the checked bags. If you are with a friend or 2nd person put half in yours and half in theirs. Chances are both your bags wont get lost and you can get by on 20 rounds per gun.

Really, it depends on the person at the counter. I called numerous times. Factory boxes. No, plastic boxes. No, only (twenty round) boxes. And, at some point, one of them said it was okay to ship the ammo in the gun case!

I went to the range and scavanged factory boxes, then chucked all of them in favor of 50 round MTM boxes, and repacked again in favor of aftermarket 20 rd. PLASTIC.

What it boils down to, is that they don't know factory from aftermarket. They all interpret the regs differently. One thing for sure, no loose cartridges stuffed in your checked baggage. And, to be safe, use plastic; they seem to prefer plastic 20 round cartons, for some reason?

One thing that can be a problem, but I have heard there is a recent change? You were limited to 5½ pounds of ammo. What the new restriction might be, I don't know? However, they never actually WEIGHED my ammo, even thought I had eleven pounds, and half of it belonged to my wife....yeah, right!

If you call ahead, to get rules, be sure and get the name of the individual. Believe me, the rules change, depending on who you are talking to.

Worst airport I have been through, by far, was Phoenix! Bad attitude toward guns, in general. Roughest treatment of guns, as well.

Good hunting. LB

I hope the following helps everyone. I am a supervisor with TSA. The following is copied from the TSA website.

All firearms must be declared to the air carrier during the ticket counter check-in process.
The firearm must be unloaded.
The firearm must be carried in a hard-sided container.
The container must be locked.
The passenger must provide the key or combination to the screener if it is necessary to open the container, and then remain present during screening to take back possession of the key after the container is cleared.
Any ammunition transported must be securely packed in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
Firearm magazines/clips do not satisfy the packaging requirement unless they provide a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
The ammunition may also be located in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it is properly packed as described above.
Black powder and percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms are not permitted in carry-on or checked baggage.

The regulations are strictly enforced. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and the imposition of civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.

Air carriers may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition an individual may place in checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the air carrier regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

I shipped a Mini-gun can full of ammo(AKA 20MM,M-134)On Alaska Airlines @ the 75.00 excess weight. the ammo can had to be inspected and labeled by the shipper and documents filled out and signed. The airlines lost the ammo in Seattle. I was on the last day of my hunt when the ammo at last made it to me in camp from the charter plane. The locked hard case even applies for in state shipments of firearms. They will check the firearm to make sure it's unloaded as they had a Ruger single action .357mag go off in passenger luggage in flight. No truer words ever spoken, "it depends on who's at the desk" ( when you check in).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.