Flying with rifles????

LennyITI

Well I am flying for the first time to Canada on Air Canada. I have an approved case for the rifle, but what do you keep your shells in when putting them in your other luggage? also is there anything special about the locks for he gun case? I called the airline and they didnt have much insight on the locks.
Thanks again

Well I am flying for the first time to Canada on Air Canada. I have an approved case for the rifle, but what do you keep your shells in when putting them in your other luggage? also is there anything special about the locks for he gun case? I called the airline and they didnt have much insight on the locks.
Thanks again
I travel to Canada every year. Once your rifle has been inspected in a US terminal you can lock your case with any lock you wish. Your ammo has to be in a separate case, like your duffel, with your clothes etc. The ammo should be in a box such as a standard factory box, or plastic ammo box. Not loose. I usually enclose them within a fanny pack that is packed inside the duffel. I then lock the duffel with TSA locks since they may want to inspect this bag once you check it. They won't want to open your gun case. I recommend you carry expensive binoculars, etc. with you on the plane, or lock it in with your rifle. I also recommend that you get hold of, and fill out the Canadian firearm form in advance and fill it out before. This will save time. The Canadian officials are generally very helpful and friendly. It's pot luck in the US airports.

My experiences with traveling with firearms have been good and bad! I would recommend buying TSA approved locks. Most lock company carry these. You don't have to, however, if they have to inspect it and your not around anymore, they can cut your locks! In addition, after your case is inspected and you locked your case, also zip tie your lock holes! I have seen guys duck tape their cases, but that can be messy! In reference to ammo storage, i have a spot cut out inside my rifle case! Good luck on your hunt!

I travel to Canada every year. Once your rifle has been inspected in a US terminal you can lock your case with any lock you wish. Your ammo has to be in a separate case, like your duffel, with your clothes etc. The ammo should be in a box such as a standard factory box, or plastic ammo box. Not loose. I usually enclose them within a fanny pack that is packed inside the duffel. I then lock the duffel with TSA locks since they may want to inspect this bag once you check it. They won't want to open your gun case. I recommend you carry expensive binoculars, etc. with you on the plane, or lock it in with your rifle. I also recommend that you get hold of, and fill out the Canadian firearm form in advance and fill it out before. This will save time. The Canadian officials are generally very helpful and friendly. It's pot luck in the US airports.

Your experience and mine are very different. Every time I have traveled with a gun, they have asked to open the case and they put an 'inspected' tag in the case. Also, I generally put my ammo right in the case with the rifle.

Your experience and mine are very different. Every time I have traveled with a gun, they have asked to open the case and they put an 'inspected' tag in the case. Also, I generally put my ammo right in the case with the rifle.

My last six hunting trips were to Edmonton, Alberta, originating in Boston, and flying a variety of domestic airlines, and Air Canada. The rifle was inspected at Boston, and an inspection slip placed in the gun case. The case can then be locked. Ammo was not allowed to be in the same case as the rifle. They specifically checked for this. Upon arrival in Edmonton they may ask to open the rifle case but they have an xRay machine and typically do not ask to open the case. The other luggage, including the one with he ammo packed should have TSA locks. My luggage has been inspected about half the time. The TSA lock has an indicator that let's you know they opened your luggage. One more item. If you handle your rifle, ammo, or store your case where you keep rifle powder be sure to wipe your equipment down with Windex or other cleaner. Particularly the handles. Also your hands. I have had the explosive test machines pick up the powder residue at the airport when they swab the handles of your luggage. They're very sensitive nitrogen detectors. This will cost you an hour with security agents and
their sniff dogs.

My last six hunting trips were to Edmonton, Alberta, originating in Boston, and flying a variety of domestic airlines, and Air Canada. The rifle was inspected at Boston, and an inspection slip placed in the gun case. The case can then be locked. Ammo was not allowed to be in the same case as the rifle. They specifically checked for this. Upon arrival in Edmonton they may ask to open the rifle case but they have an xRay machine and typically do not ask to open the case. The other luggage, including the one with he ammo packed should have TSA locks. My luggage has been inspected about half the time. The TSA lock has an indicator that let's you know they opened your luggage. One more item. If you handle your rifle, ammo, or store your case where you keep rifle powder be sure to wipe your equipment down with Windex or other cleaner. Particularly the handles. Also your hands. I have had the explosive test machines pick up the powder residue at the airport when they swab the handles of your luggage. They're very sensitive nitrogen detectors. This will cost you an hour with security agents and
their sniff dogs.

Thanks for the clarification. My guns were inspected from the point of departure and not on arrival.

As for whether you can transport ammo with the rifle or not, TSA regs state:

"Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above."

That said, I've never traveled to Canada where regulations may be different.

Sorry if this seems argumentative. Not my intent at all.

Do not put TSA locks on your gun cases. You don't know what baggage monkey has a TSA key.

They are not allowed to open your declared baggage containing firearms without your presence unless they are unable to contact you. They will only cut the lock if it alarms and is not tagged as containing a firearm.

I would recommend placing an extra set of unlocked locks in your firearm baggage with a note to replace cut locks.

Thanks for the clarification. My guns were inspected from the point of departure and not on arrival.

As for whether you can transport ammo with the rifle or not, TSA regs state:

"Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above."

That said, I've never traveled to Canada where regulations may be different.

Sorry if this seems argumentative. Not my intent at all.

No problem, I didn't take it as argumentative. Thanks.

Well so far this is what I have come up with. Locked gun in the case taken to counter and opened up for inspection, locked up again with TSA sticker on it. Amo (less than 11lbs) carried in other checked bag with TSA lable. Range finder and binoculars in my carry on bag. I have my documents for canada in 3 copies not signed untill in canada, and lastly I went yesterday to Pittsburgh air port US Customs office and had them inspect the gun and serial number and now I have their stamped paperwork to trannsport gun in and out of our country. I think I have all my bases covered.

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.