Flying United Airlines with a firearm questions

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I'm going back to Pennsylvania in May to a long range class and will be flying with rifle, ammo, and suppressor. My question to you guy's is there any different requirements to fly with a suppressor other then to have a copy of your paper work with it?

No. They are considered "firearms" and are treated as such. I have never had anyone even ask for my paperwork. It just sits in its cutout next to the rifle.

To the OP
It depends on the airport and individuals your dealing with
I fly 2-3 times a year to Alaska to guide taking firearms with me. I haven't had issues yet. But I have had Hunters experience a number of issues. 1 guy wasn't allowed to bring his rifle. His wife had to take it home for him. He had to borrow a rifle for his moose hunt with us. LaGuardia airport was his point of departure. United Airlines the carrier.
Another one was a huge hassle at the ticket counter with airline personnel about legality's of flying with a firearm. Agents did not know the company or TSA policies for this. The hunter had to pull up the policy on his phone and show them. Had to get a supervisor involved to finally get approval. Took over a hour. Almost missed his flight after another hour of security line waiting. Delta was his carrier out of Atlanta
It should not be like this but unfortunately in today's world it's a possibility. Every time I go I wonder in the back of my mind if this time I'll get the Ahole agent and if my rifle and gear all arrive with me at the destination. 🤔

I echo the sentiment of those who said not to use TSA locks. I have had my locks cut off twice by TSA - once when I was returning from a hunt in Canada - I had a long layover in DEN and took my brother to dinner, so was not around to hear them announce my name. If TSA cuts your locks, they will replace them with TSA locks. I typically put a few extra locks in my gun case.

Someone said every hole has to have a lock; the last time I flew Delta they did indeed insist on that.

I am elite for life on two airlines, so I never pay for checked baggage, so can't answer that question.

As those who have travelled with guns outside the US know, you must register them at a US Customs office using form 4457. The last two times I flew back from Africa I went through ATL; they customs guys there didn't just want to see your 4457, they entered your serial numbers in a computer - supposedly to make sure they were not stolen. I complained loudly both times, pointing out that if Customs really wanted to see if my guns were stolen, they would have done that when I registered them at their PHX airport office.

To the OP
It depends on the airport and individuals your dealing with
I fly 2-3 times a year to Alaska to guide taking firearms with me. I haven't had issues yet. But I have had Hunters experience a number of issues. 1 guy wasn't allowed to bring his rifle. His wife had to take it home for him. He had to borrow a rifle for his moose hunt with us. LaGuardia airport was his point of departure. United Airlines the carrier.
Another one was a huge hassle at the ticket counter with airline personnel about legality's of flying with a firearm. Agents did not know the company or TSA policies for this. The hunter had to pull up the policy on his phone and show them. Had to get a supervisor involved to finally get approval. Took over a hour. Almost missed his flight after another hour of security line waiting. Delta was his carrier out of Atlanta
It should not be like this but unfortunately in today's world it's a possibility. Every time I go I wonder in the back of my mind if this time I'll get the Ahole agent and if my rifle and gear all arrive with me at the destination. 🤔
I too fly a lot. A whole lot and have a habit of bringing rifles home that need rehoming.
Exactly what RH300UM says it depends. 90% of my flying is west cost but every airport is a whole different thing and every airline is different as well. Wish it wasn't that way but sure seems to be.