Florida greetings!

xxtavixx

Hello everyone!

I've been reading on the forum for years, and finally decided to register. I cannot thank everyone enough for the information, it has served me well.

I'm a FL native, but my drive is pushing me beyond that. I did a 5 day archery hunt in Michigan this year, but the weather was seriously against me. Planning to go back for rifle season in 2017, now that I know the lay of the land a bit better.

For 2018...I'm torn. I want to do a Elk hunt, or a Red Stag hunt. There is something about an elk bugle that sets my blood on fire.

The issue with red stag is traveling international, unless I want to do a US based outfitter which typically yields a smaller animal. Additionally, they are typically not what I consider fair chase. The few outfitters I've found who offer Red Stag seem to be fenced in.

Whichever hunt I do, I want to bring a fair bit of meat back with me - which means I will drive it. CO is far, but doable at 26 hours. I am willing to drive 2 days one way for the trip of a lifetime.

I've heard VERY good things about an outfitter in ID, and have references that I personally know. ID is too far to drive, at 39 hours.

I've started looking at this outfitter in WV for a Red Stag, but I have reservations about it being fenced in. I've read mostly positive reviews, but the extend of reviews are limited. Anyone have any experience with them? Them being in WV could cut my drive down to roughly 12 hours, which is rather appealing.

Mountain Meadow Hunting Preserve - The Birthplace of Hunting Memories that Last a Lifetime! Greenville, West Virginia - Red Stag Hunts

Thanks for any insight! This would be my first outfitter hunt, so I am always open to suggestions. I know to plan, plan more, ask questions, ask more questions, and get references for both people who harvested, and people who did not.

So, finding more reviews it appears the WV outfitter may be too fenced in for an outfitter where i am not sure if thats really a fair chase. Ill have to try to learn more before considering them. 600 acres sure does not feel like a ot for what the amount of game they are offering. When i hunt Michigan i am pretty sure i cover 100 acres without muh fuss daily.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.