Flattest shooting deer rifle

If he does not want to range...I hope he is in an area where he knows 400 is his max range,like from a stand where shooting lanes are only 400 yards. I shoot a LOT from 300 to 1400. I can't tell the difference much between 320-420. And if it is across a canyon, 400 can look like 600 easily.

A 257WBY on a 28" barrel shooting a 100TTSX @ 3600fps should work as long as he zeroes about 330 yards. Depending on conditions and altitude, could be 4" high at 200, 330 zero, and 5" low at 400. Not ideal, but it might work.

Push just about any decent bullet 3600+, and it will get you there.

What chambering would you guys recommend for a deer rifle to just point and shoot. My dad does not want to range and dial. He'd rather just zero his rifle and not touch it again. 350-400 yard max range. What would you guys recommend?
If he does not want to range...I hope he is in an area where he knows 400 is his max range,like from a stand where shooting lanes are only 400 yards. I shoot a LOT from 300 to 1400. I can't tell the difference much between 320-420. And if it is across a canyon, 400 can look like 600 easily.
I consider myself an excellent range estimator. However, the invention of rangefinders proved me wrong. When I got my first rangefinder, the experience humbled my hunting buddy and me.

@lancetkenyon I, too, cannot tell those ranges. It only takes me seconds to range and develop a firing solution to increase my odds of success.

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. M thinking I'll be going with the .257 wby. Their Apex model looks very interesting.

I have a few I would consider easy to use at a max of 400 metres.
Hold on hair and shoot with a MPBR of 10".
257 Weatherby.
264WM (custom chamber/barrel/twist).
270 Weatherby.
7STW.
300WM.
300RUM.
300-416 Rigby Improved.
338-416 Rigby Improved.
I own all of these and wouldn't hesitate using any with an ABLR of your choice in weight.
I might even consider my custom 25-06 with a 115g Berger…I know it's capable.

Cheers.

Like @QuietTexan, @jessej, and @ButterBean, I think the 300 RUM with 124 gr Hammer Hunters is a pretty good "maximum point blank range rifle." Mine is a Remington 700 KS shooting the 124s at just a hair over 3800 fps. I had them up to about 4000 fps with Retumbo but the the slower H4831sc load is much more accurate. I am still no more than 2" high or low out to just over 300 yards.

Last edited:
lol i was going to point that listing out too. If a 25 cal is what you want, you wont be disapointed in the 257wby performance. I have many in the stable, this listing was interesting to me the bolt is on the wrong side of the gun for me! :) This is my favorite whitetail/medium game caliber. But there are many that would fall into your flat class - many factory are wby's which is interesting you don't hear much about them here.

Harder to find ammo and rarely discussed don't and i'm thinking for ok whitetail 257 is prob a better choice, but don't under estimate the 240 wby, 270 maybe the most versatile of all the wby's as far as range of ammo selection and type of game. 257/240 are just super cool.

But the list goes 6.5-300 - 7mmwby - 7mm stw (both of these with 150 grain bullets :) lol -

Get you a 257 with 100 grain sirocco's if it likes them and don't look back. I drop deer in the oat field here in central Texas 300-350 yards with them all the time. Stay away from spire point and eldx they do not hold up to the velocities that thing brings, great for targets, pigs and longer ranges behind the shoulders. If you shoot one through the shoulders at close range, the dogs prob wont find it - in your county atleast. Premium is the only way;