Flat Triggers for hunting

Curved here. I tried flats, but every time I pulled it the pull weight felt different from my finger sliding up & down the flat face. Curved triggers give me a repeatable pull point.
I agree. In a hunting situation, when your adrenaline is up, and you are focused on the animal, you want an aid to help ensure consistent trigger pull. I think a curved trigger helps with that.

The Trigger Tech Diamond flat shoe is now my trigger of choice. Easier for me to position my finger in the same spot every time and just plain feels better with vertical grip stocks to me. I always thought I would hate them but sure glad I gave them a chance.
That is the same trigger I have ,I grip it all the way at the bottom at the little bump it is very consistent and feels good plus you have the most leverage.

That is the same trigger I have ,I grip it all the way at the bottom at the little bump it is very consistent and feels good plus you have the most leverage.
Exactly! I imagine holding a pencil and breaking the lead tip off with my finger. Sounds weird but gives me a consistent clean break every time.

I keep looking at putting a flat trigger in my ar for coyote hunting. Any pro's/cons? I would assume for the most part its just preference but are there any issues I might be overlooking?
CMC and triggertech are really nice and riding that little toe at the bottom is a good index. The Timney Calvin Elite is a bit of a hybrid with the adjustable shoe. I have a CMC in my groundhog AR and it works well. One thing I will tell you to be careful of when riding the bottom of the flat bow hunting in cold. If you shoot with a glove, you can get hung and block the reset. Not as likely to happen with a curved bow.

For hunting? Been using a curved trigger and a gloved hand for a loooong time, not trying to relearn. I keep the triggers on the heavier side for the same reason. A gloved hand makes a difference.

For me it doesn't, personally I find it easier to find the finger position with a gloved hand on a curved trigger in the heat of the moment while in the field.

I have nothing against straight triggers, I think they are great, but I have been shooting curved triggers so long I don't care to relearn the feel. I target shoot for fun with my hunting rifles all through the warm seasons with no gloves. Come hunting season, for me, a glove makes a difference.

Edit: I got caught up in the thread title and not the body of the post, so my apologies if I derailed it. I have shot flat triggers on others AR's, its weird. To the OP, try it you may love it.

Last edited:
how cold are you hunting yotes in? I could see some problems with wearing gloves..
Sweating to death lately, it's so hot the action has really slowed down,but in the winter my heavy gloves are like mittens but the fingers fold back when I need them to

The Trigger Tech Diamond flat shoe is now my trigger of choice. Easier for me to position my finger in the same spot every time and just plain feels better with vertical grip stocks to me. I always thought I would hate them but sure glad I gave them a chance.
x2

Great trigger…as is the special. I've swapped everything over to straight shoe triggers. CMC 2.5lbers in my AR platform and Trigger Techs mentioned. I've even swapped the shoe in a Bix Tac Pro, another great trigger. I feel like I have more control over the trigger, hard to explain but it's all I use.