Flat base bullets vs range

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by M_freeman, Oct 9, 2010.

1. M_freeman

M_freeman Well-Known Member

I am about to purchase some bullets to try my first attempt at reloading.
    I am using a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08 22.5" barrel 1x9 twist. My expected range for this load is 300 yards max. No reason to go with a boat tail at this range? 120 -130 gr bullet

2. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

No reason for BT in that range.

3. M_freeman

figured as much -- a good 130gr bullet w/ MV of 2900+ should do fine out to 300 yards. lot of good affordable flatbase bullets available in that range
    this should be a cheap to feed habit.

4. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

140 btip or partition will take care of anything you wish to hunt with that caliber. Of course a Hornady, Speer, or Sierra flat base spitzer will serve you well also.

5. M_freeman

I'll be shooting small CA deer prefer some meat left, while the 140gr is optimum for longer range, which I won't be shooting I think in this case they will uneccessarily waste meat. I think I'll go with the Speer 130 gr flat base see if that groups well enough, should put a dime size hole in and a quarter size whole out with jelly in between. Like what I see ballistically w/ the Berger 140gr VLD but those would take the front quarter of meat off these little deer.