Flash hiders on accuracy?

Frogman77

ANyone use a flash hider on their long range setup?? Was thinking about getting one for hunting wolves at night and for added crown protection.

If they affect accuracy then I don't want it. I'll deal with the fireball :) but if it doesn't I might consider it. WAs thinking of either vortex or yhm flash hiders.

any thoughts??

It wouldnt be any differnt than a muzzle break and those dont effect accuarcy as long as they are installed correctly.

Where are you when you are hunting wolves at night? with night vision?

I haven't yet, but I want to....up in alaska. right now sun's up almost all day all night. still gets a little dark but not completely. Just want to preserve night vision as much as I can and maybe someday put a suppressor on it if I'm feeling rich!

It wouldnt be any differnt than a muzzle break and those dont effect accuarcy as long as they are installed correctly.

Anytime you add a weight to the end of any barrel you change the harmonics, which in turn affects accuracy whether it be a brake or other accessory.

If you dont have any loads developed yet, then install it and then work up your loads. If you do have loads worked up for accuracy, then you will most likely have to adjust your loads to find the new "sweet" spot. You may not have to, but you most likely will have to.

thanks michael, haven't started the loads as it's still at the builder's...I'll have him put it on. Long term I might invest in a suppressor and it'll already be threaded and have the quick connect on the flash hider.

I suppose it wouldn't detract from potential accuracy any more than a muzzle brake would no?

ladder testing the best way to find the accuracy node I assume? Charge weight first then seating depth??

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.