FL sizing dies smaller than SAAMI specs?

Snootch

Do they make dies that will take once fired brass back to non fired size? 300 rum rcbs FL sizing die will put fired brass to SAAMI spec, .525 @ shoulder, .550 @ base. Non fired brass is .520 @ shoulder and .545 @ base. Haven't checked headspacing length yet. I have a lot of once and twice fired brass and can't size it to fit into my new match barrel. The camber is a lot tighter but non fired brass fits just fine of course.

Simple answer, NO.
Reloading dies are NOT designed to size back to factory spec, just a little larger.
You will also notice that most brass, regardless of maker, is about .003"-.005" under SAAMI minimum spec. This is quite normal.
A small base die will reduce the head size above the web about .003" smaller than your FL die.
The only portion to size that really matters is the shoulder, a .002" bump is all that's necessary, in most cases and dies, the body will also be bumped .002" if spring back is not excessive.

Cheers.
:)

Simple answer, NO.
Reloading dies are NOT designed to size back to factory spec, just a little larger.
You will also notice that most brass, regardless of maker, is about .003"-.005" under SAAMI minimum spec. This is quite normal.
A small base die will reduce the head size above the web about .003" smaller than your FL die.
The only portion to size that really matters is the shoulder, a .002" bump is all that's necessary, in most cases and dies, the body will also be bumped .002" if spring back is not excessive.

Cheers.
:)
Thanks that's what I figured, I just wanted to make sure before I buy new brass.

I have several hundred 6.5 creed brass from another rifle I owned.
They are too big for my current rifle, I have been down that road before, and once I got them to chamber, I fought that brass until I finally just bought new brass. It never did fit right. Some would chamber fine, and be hard to extract, or they would chamber hard.

I had the same problem, I had Paul (pbike) over on accurateshooter.com make me basically a small base die it worked great.
Send him 3 fired rounds from your current chamber. I guess it depends on how many brass you have compared to just buy new cost wise it made sense for me I had 500 on one of my varment calibers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.