Fixing to pull the trigger

Kentmax5

Hello all. Kentmax5 from southeast Texas. have been doing a lot of research online and talking to friends and fellow hunters and am just about ready to pull the trigger on a Long range hunting/target rifle. I have a local gunsmith here who is a legend in custom rifle building in my area. So am weighing the pros and cons and price tag of having him build me a custom gun or ordering one from one of the online sites I have found. including Hollandguns.com. I am torn between a 7mm mag or 338 for my custom rifle...and I now know that there are more than one type of 338.....I'd only heard of the lapua until recently.....any and all input is appreciated. I am looking at a 500-1000 yd. ethical effective range on medium to large game. Thanks.....Kentmax5

Your decision to get into the LRH game is very likely to be an invigorating addition to your hunting experience. While there are many superb gunsmiths that build excellent rifles, I would use one that understands, and specializes in building long range rifles. As you have likely experienced already, caliber choice is very varied, and based heavily on personal preference. For the range and hunting you describe, the 7mmMag, or 300 Mag would serve your purposes well, and probably be a more practical starting point to learn the sport. IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.