Fixing bullet runout?

Hi Reloader,
I Think that my interpretation of "cant" is what yourself and others would call bullet run out.
Let me explain what i mean by bullet cant.
If the seated bullet is tilted to one side or its centre line is at a slight angle to that of the case that is what i call "cant"

Bullet run out to me is when the seated bullets centre line is not on the same axis as the centre line of the case, so when you roll your finished round under a DTI you have a high spot on the bullet.
That corresponding high spot appears on the case neck at the same point ( providing you have concentric necks ).
I therefore regard bullet run out as a factor of case body/neck missalignment.

Like i said this can only be corrected by ensuring that both the C/L of the bore of the neck and the C/L of the case diameter are on the same axis.

Ian.

The answer to your question is simple as all get out: Lee collet neck die and a quality seater such as the Redding Comp or Forster Ultra.

By design the Lee collet neck die does not have an expander, so one potential problem is eliminated there. It sizes the neck against a mandrel from the inside rather than the outside like other dies, so another source of runout, case thickness variations, is eliminated. It requires no case lube, a very nice convenience IMO. I now use the Lee collet neck die for every cartridge I reload for and have eliminated excess runout as a source of any accuracy problems I might be having.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.