First western hunt

What would you hunt?

• Total voters
South west Colorado for Wonderful Scenery but don't plan on seeing any Buck Deer or Elk. The Colorado DNR has MANAGED them into Extinction .
Agreed...hunted SW CO with outfitter (horseback) in 3rd rifle this year...out of 12 guys in 2 camps one 6X6 was shot just before dark on the last day of the hunt. The rest of us either didn't see an elk (me) or saw a couple of small but legal bulls and a few cows. We were at 8500-9500' and it was unseasonably warm most of the time. We were told the bulls were still above the tree line because of the weather and that earlier seasons this year weren't much better.

Ok so as a CO resident I will tell you OTC elk is not much fun for me anymore. I can and do kill an elk every year on an OTC but it hurts and you will very honestly spend more time dealing with other hunters and see very few elk. I live surrounded by OTC units hence the reason I can keep track of elk and I know the country very well. Average rifle non resident success rate for the units I live in is about 5%. For a much more enjoyable experience I would suggest either finding an outfitter with landowner tags and a DIY option though there aren't many out there or apply in the draw and start building a few points. Mule deer hunting in CO or WY is good. Keep in mind that WY wilderness areas are off limits to non residents unless you hire a guide. Antelope can be fun but stay away from the super easy to get doe and buck tags in Northeast WY as most of the public land is land land locked and off limits.

For a first trip out west especially if it's going to be a infrequent or one time deal go with an outfitter. If you're prepared to go home empty handed but see beautiful country then OTC elk in CO is a great option.

Last edited:
We have hunted in New Mexico in units 13 and 15 for cow elk buying landowner vouchers and are 6 for 6 in 3 seasons. We mainly hunt for the meat thats why the cow tags and they are much less expensive that bull tags. Total cost for voucher,permit and license is around 1500 bucks. Fun hunt and elk are easy to find if you have good glass. We have glassed up elk at 2 miles and then move on in. Also need to mention unit 13 hunts we bought were muzzeloader only in december.

If you want to hunt CO I would recommend putting in for the rifle bear tag. It's a draw hunt but you should get a tag. It's $100 (vs $400-$600 for deer and elk) plus the hunting/fishing license you gotta buy. The season is September 2-30, you will be in elk and deer country so you can scout and learn what you need to for future hunting trips. It will also require a lot of glassing, which the practice will help with subsequent western hunting trips. There are plenty of bears in Colorado, you find water and berries and you will probably find a bear. The meat can be pretty good too.

Well...
what about blacktail and black bear mix....oregon..only one day each..and expensive...
Or......
what about blacktail and black bear mix....alaska..multiple tags and I think hunting Sitka off a boat would be awesome....eat all the crab and shrimp til you puke......

I have lived in Montana my whole life but have hunted other states. As much as I want to NOT tell others about how awesome Montana is, I can't help myself. With a little scouting and research, over the counter mule deer and elk would be a very enjoyable experience. If you have time and are willing to put in some decent effort, all tags could/should get filled.

If you don't mind going with an outfitter, then Elk and White tail in British Columbia. Had a great White Tail/Mule Deer, Antelope hunt in Alberta last year.

Sitka blacktail. No other decent OTC tags that I know of.

If Alaska is too far west, I would suggest bear hunting in NM or AZ. Not great odds of filling your tags if you haven't done your homework and scouting though.

Antelope hunting is a hoot but where does one get OTC tags?

Landowner tags are going to be the safest bet- cow elk or antelope in NM.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.