First Time Hand Load Results - 300WM Barnes 180gr TTSX

RobStar

Here are today's results from my first batch of hand loads. The rifle is a lightweight custom 300 Win Mag sporter that only weighs 6.9 lbs with scope so not a dedicated long range rifle. The bullet is a Barnes 180gr TTSX that I've been shooting as factory ammo up to now.

I shot one round of each load, let the barrel cool for eight minutes every five shots and then repeated those steps until all thirty rounds were done.

These are in .5gr steps and I'm thinking for my next set I'll do .2gr steps starting at 70.9gr up to the book max of 71.9gr since in my eyes it looks like loads 8-10 were the best range. No signs of pressure issues at all.

Bullets were seating .050 off the lands per Barnes recommendations as a start point (measured with a Hornady tool)

What do you think about that plan?

Thanks! Robert

March12_Loads_Target_small.jpg

8-10 definitely look great. 0.2 grain increments is pretty small for a 300 winnie case, but who knows what it may show. Don't forget there will always be a statistical variance. If you shoot #9 again, it may look even better. I might give that load more of a chance.

Also, if you want to dial it in a bit more, changing the seating depth might also give you some big improvements. Maybe try giving it 0.08" or 0.10" jump.

Looks cool though! :cool:

morning, try 77.0grs. 4831SSC, barrel heat can change everything when talking

accuracy. try the Barnes MRX. these r very good bullets. in my 7mmwbee I shoot

barnes 145gr. MRX. 7828 powder. 215F Wbee brass . I shoot a lot of Barnes

bullets. I like the Lapua Sencar-L in my 6.5 Mag, 7mmWSM and 300WM I have

a custom 300WM that us a tack driver. .300-.500 r the norm for groups.

I also shoot my 340wbee with 210gr Barnes TTSX. .500-.700 norm groups.lightbulb

I would shoot #9 again also. My experience with barnes bullets is the harder you push them the better they shoot. I would load nine more at 71.4 and use the .050" jump as your base group. Load the next two sets of three at .090" and .130" jump and shoot those for groups as well.

Reuben

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.