First semi custom build ???

TNdeerhunter

Ok guys so I finally have the money to do a semi custom build but I need some help. I'm on very limited funds but with birthday coming up I'll be able to get a couple upgrades planning on getting the rifle in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking at the 260 remington sense it will be a deer/predator rifle right now my farthest shot opportunity is going to be about 500 yards mostly around 400. But my delima is I can't find a remington 700 in 260 with a bull barrel and don't have enough money right now to get a custom barrel. So I thought about a 243 sense remington offers and 700 varmint in 243 but I want more bullet to be on the safe side at 400 yards for deer. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get a good stock rifle with decent factory barrel in 260 remington or would a sporter barrel do for what I want ? I plan on putting a vortex viper 4-16x50 on top but don't know If I want a 20 moa base or not. Willl I need one ? Any thoughts comments and Advice will be greatly appreciated . I also looked at the savage model 10 pc would that be a good place to start I've never owned a savage but they seem like good rifles from what I've read and I like the fact they are short and lighter then a 26" bull barrel

I forgot to mention when writing this that I've tried this before but with a Thomson center venture and needless to say I couldn't find any after market upgrades and it turned into a real head ache no matter what I reloaded I couldn't find a load the gun liked in the comments if you own a 260 remington in a 700 or savage if you could tell me the load your gun likes I would appreciate it to get me a starting point so this build doesn't turn out like the last on thanks for all help in advance

Rather than settle on a .243, you might check out the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmor. Its almost a ballistic twin to the .260. I've read good things about that new rifle.

Ok guys so I finally have the money to do a semi custom build but I need some help. I'm on very limited funds but with birthday coming up I'll be able to get a couple upgrades planning on getting the rifle in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking at the 260 remington SINCE it will be a deer/predator rifle right now my farthest shot opportunity is going to be about 500 yards mostly around 400. But my delima is I can't find a remington 700 in 260 with a bull barrel and don't have enough money right now to get a custom barrel. So I thought about a 243 sense remington offers and 700 varmint in 243 but I want more bullet to be on the safe side at 400 yards for deer. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get a good stock rifle with decent factory barrel in 260 remington or would a sporter barrel do for what I want ? I plan on putting a vortex viper 4-16x50 on top but don't know If I want a 20 moa base or not. Willl I need one ? Any thoughts comments and Advice will be greatly appreciated . I also looked at the savage model 10 pc would that be a good place to start I've never owned a savage but they seem like good rifles from what I've read and I like the fact they are short and lighter then a 26" bull barrel

A 700 varmint model ( I have the VLS model) in 243 will handle 500 yard shots with no problem and being a Remington you still have the avenue of upgrades should you want to. You dont need any 20 MOA rail for less that 600 yards EXCEPT I like to use some sort of rail for the positioning of the scope and rings.....not for any height increase

Savage has lots of rifles in 260. The LRP comes with a 26" bull barrel in 260. I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor and I' very happy with it. Issue is it weighs 12 lbs.

Sounds like you might want something more mobile though. The Savage Predator Hunter Max comes in 260 with a 24" barrel that is more of a varmint contour. I think it's .740 at the muzzle and weighs a more manageable 8.5 lbs. With this setup you could hunt with the factory barrel to see if it meets your needs and at a later date upgrade the barrel yourself with a custom aftermarket on (26" if you wanted).

Check it out Savage Arms

I was thinking pretty much the same as you a few years back and I bought a Savage VLP in .243 with the intention of rebarreling it to 260 ackley. Long story short, it's still a .243 and it rocks. 500yds is not a problem. At this point the only thing I'm going to go with when this barrel wears out is a .243 Ackley. No flies on the .260 though either...

I would consider getting a .308 for now. Ammo is cheap and easy to come by and rifles are everywhere. Down the road when you can afford a new barrel you can chamber it for .260 if you want. And if you reload you'll have a bunch of .308 brass that can be necked down.

The .308 is a fantastic caliber out to 500 yards. For just deer and varmints I think the .260 is a little better but not by much. 7mm-08 is another great cartridge if you can find something in that chambering.

I was in the same boat as you. I have a Remington Stainless Varmint in 308 and wanted something with less kick. Years ago I was shooting high power matches and had a Remington VS in 260 that was bedded into a Fajen stock. It was a great rifle and I wish I still had it. When I was looking into getting another Remington...I was quite disappointed to see that there was no varmint barreled offerings in 260. I saw that they did make the 700 adl varmint in 243. I had a 1970's Remington 700 bdl in 243 and it shot extremely well.

So the clincher was that Dick's Sporting goods had the 700 adl varmint specials on sale last weekend for $449. I told myself...they won't have one in 243...but I'll go in and look. Low and behold they had one in 243. I brought it home and I am currently getting it completed with a BC m40 stock, weaver one piece extended rail and rings. For now it will wear a bushnell 4-12 legend. I will upgrade the scope after some more funds become available. I am looking forward to shooting this new rifle. I'll let you know how the 243 does.

6.5cm all the way. True short action vs 260 you may run out of mag room in a sa. Being as the 6.5cm and the 260 are so similar yet the cm fits comfortably in a short action really kind of puts the 260 in no mans land. If you are going to go long action might as well bump it up to 260ai or 6.5x284

I'd do what has been mentioned. Pick up a 243adl and get to work. It won't happen over night but you'll have the gun you want before you know it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts