First post-- this looks like a great place to visit

CW3SF1937

First off let me say that this forum look like just the place I need to be.

Let me tell you about my log on "name". The CW3 is the rank I retired as in the USArmy and SF stands for my last unit--- Special Forces. 1937 is the year of my birth.

My son , grandson and I hunt in Colorado ( I have lived here for over 40 years ) and now we hunt the black powder season for Elk.

We now have new "bone collectors" and plan to work up loads using Blackhorn 209 ( if we can get it in time ) or 777 and thor bullets.

Have any of you found out which of the thor bullets 500, 501, 502, or 503 cal. works best in the bone collectors? We intend to push through our samples as soon as they get here.

We now have been using 777 powder and powerbelts Platinum 338g at 100 g volume with very good groups at 100 yards. The Hornaday 350g STP con. load hard ( they are 503 cal ) but shoot great also.

Which of the thor bullets 250g or 350g would you use for Elk? My thoughts would be to "go big for Elk or go home".

If we get the BH 209 powder do you find that 100g is a good load to start for a hunting load?

Thanks in advance for you accurate and thoughtfull responces.

CW3SF ( before SF I was a USAF PJ, so all of you pilots owe me a beer. ):)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.