First Post/Question: 300 RUM

For the cost of it I would get the trigger tuned and barrel recrowed, and ensure the barrel is indeed free floating. I would also start to reload, it's not that difficult. As other posters have said get good reference material, and work carefully. A basic kit from Redding/Hornady/RCBS will get you started with the basic tools, add a set of quality dies and you can "roll your own"

The post above about shooting out to 600 will force you to set up properly is spot on, hopefully you have access to a place you can practice that far.

If you do start handloading, try RE-25, 180 grain accubonds and Fed215 primers. Start at 88 grains and work up. I have shot several Rem 700 300 RUMS and they all really, really like this combination.

Here is what I would do in order....

1. adjust the trigger down to 2.5-3lb(rem triggers are easy to adjust if you follow the online directions). If this doesnt work or you are uncomfortable doing it, buy an after market trigger.
2. start reloading
3. work on the action/stock(ie. bedding/pillar bedding, free float the bbl)
4. muzzlebreak

A trigger job seems to reduce groups by at least half, on the rifles that I have done it to. I adjusted my factory trigger(rem 700) down to 3lb and started handloading for my rifle. Nothing has been done to the stock or action and I am getting .992" 5 shot groups at 100yds.... that includes a called flyer.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.